[PHP] counting values in mysql_fetch_array()?

bonzo meier

Reaction score
hi,

i have a question about a simple php-sql routine: I select some content items from a database and display their data, this works fine.

Code:
$contentResult = @ mysql_query($contentQuery, $connection);

while ($contentitems = @ mysql_fetch_array($contentResult)) 
{
print $contentitems['ID'];
}

now my question: is it possible to find out how many of the $contentitems contain the $ID=2 before the while-loop is performed?

thanks for help,
peace, bonzo

Adam01

Reaction score
You could also do it during the loop.

PHP:
$contentResult = @ mysql_query($contentQuery, $connection);

while ($contentitems = @ mysql_fetch_array($contentResult)) 
{

if($contentitems['ID'] == '2'){
ECHO $contentitems['values...'];
}
}

and dont you meen "echo" instead of print?

Last edited:

sunils

Reaction score
I have made a small inclusion in adam's post
PHP:
$contentResult = $mysql_query($contentQuery, $connection); 
$count=0;
while ($contentitems = $mysql_fetch_array($contentResult))  
{ 
          if($contentitems['ID'] == '2')
          { 
                $count++;
          } 
} 
print "There were ".$count." items";

bonzo meier

Reaction score
yes, these are ways of handling the problem i have already thought about. the point is, the query is selecting all different content items, some are articles, forms, and some are (id=2) newsfeeds.

now i want the script to check if there are more than one newsfeeds to one topic (which is one page), and if there are, to combine them in one box of headlines.

if i do the counting inside the while-loop, and say the first and the third found item are newsfeeds, the script will not be able to merge the two feeds. the script is now like

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]while ([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$contentitems [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]@mysql_fetch_array[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$contentResult[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]))   
{  
          [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]if([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$contentitems[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'ID'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] == [/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'1'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]) 
          {  
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]make_article()[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; 
          } [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]
          if([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$contentitems[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'ID'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] == [/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'2'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]) 
          {  
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]make_newsbox()[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; 
          }
//... and so on... 
}  [/COLOR][/COLOR]

so now if the script comes across the first newsfeed-item, it makes a newsbox and when it comes to the next, it makes another one.

while i am writing this, a possible solution is getting clearer for me: what if i did the counting of newsfeeds inside the while and put the newsbox-generating function right after it... hmmmm... if this works, i give big props to you guys who helped me on the way.

i´ll try it, if it works, i´ll post the solution.
thanks to all of you! peace, bonzo.
Edit:
ok, this is how it works:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]while ([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$contentitems [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]@mysql_fetch_array[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$contentResult[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]))   
{[/COLOR][/COLOR]
     if ($contentitems['ID'] == 1)
     {
     make_article();
     }

if ($contentitems['ID'] == 2)
     {
     $feeds .= $contentitems['itemID'].';'; //first semi-colon is used as a string separator later, when I explode the string into a new array
     }
}
if(!empty($feeds)
{
$max_headlines = 5; //these are required in my make_newsbox() function
make_newsbox($feeds, $max_headlines);
}

another good thing is that now the newsbox is always at the bottom of the content area - if I wanted it somewhere else inside the content area I had another problem, but like this I´m happy :)

peace, bonzo

Last edited: