PHP Source Code

xmakina

Reaction score
I'm sure someone here can but if you want help you'll need to:

1) Provide a brief summary of what your website will do
2) Gone through the tutorials available at www.w3schools.com
3) Provide an instant messenger contact address and what times you expect to be online (including timezone).

Hope to hear from you soon :)

philwee

Reaction score
Maybe you can give us an overview of what you wish to accomplish in your PHP/MySQL project?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
You should try using a CMS... will be a lot easier!

freecrm

Reaction score
CMS are evil :nono: :naughty:

Forgive my ignorance - what does CMS stand for?

Code Managers? Computer Must Shutdown???? :biggrin:

If Dreamweaver is a CMS, I like it - BUT - it does require some basic understanding of php and don't rely on it.

For beginners of php I would suggest the following:

Understand the working environment of php (i.e. MySQL back end database and php front end interface.

Get to grips with some simple sql queries (insert, update, delete)

Understand Recordsets

Tryout simple variable management. ($_POST, $_GET, $_SESSION)

Practice output with "echo".

Then the fun can begin!

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
I don't like them because everytime I tried one I ended up making my own site from scratch because although there were many options, all those I didn't want were in the way and you have way more control over your own code than over something a bunch of people made for you and that will bug every time you try to customize something ;)

mattura

Reaction score
I feel for you Salvados, I had the same experience, and ended up making my own customised CMS. It's just what I need (although it took a while to create)!

dickey

Reaction score
Don't want to be rude but what was it again that webschool want help with? If you need good answers you must ask good questions. :)

mattura

Reaction score
"Posts:1" says a lot for me.
webschool you will with experience learn to add the correct amount of detail to your post-questions, but we certainly need more than that!

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
I feel for you Salvados, I had the same experience, and ended up making my own customised CMS. It's just what I need (although it took a while to create)!
I bet you get a pretty cool result in the end, knowing exactly how everything works and how to add stuff if you want to.

My personal website is pretty plain and simple in the end, but I'm also developing a PHP/MySQL RPG. I decided to use a phpBB board to deal with the forum part (obviously) and the registration, session variables and such. I'm doing all the rest from scratch so I have no obligation to follow any outside structure, and when some aspect of the game's code is complete enough, I build an admin panel to manage it.
In the end I believe I will get the same functionality, but... it's all gonna be mine (save for the forums) ^^

freecrm

Reaction score
I don't like them because everytime I tried one I ended up making my own site from scratch because although there were many options, all those I didn't want were in the way and you have way more control over your own code than over something a bunch of people made for you and that will bug every time you try to customize something ;)

Fully agree with most of this but creating your own code from scratch is often very time consuming and prone to syntax errors.

At least with DW, it does a lot of the hard work for you in a very short space of time to start off with. The problem comes when you want the code to do something slightly different in which case the "CMS" throws out errors and sometimes even tries to correct a perfectly OK piece of code.

This is why I said that a basic understanding is always a good idea so that you can view the code and understand it rather than relying too heavily on graphical output or "WYSIWYG" interface.

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are still confusing CMSes with software like DreamWeaver. As far as I know, DW just helps bring code together. But content management systems are the like of PHP-Nuke, WordPress and Joomla!. They are fully built websites that allow you certain customization features while giving you simple forms to add the content to your website. All of the structure and functions are already built for you and you only control, basically, the text and images the user will see, and not how the site works proper.

That's why I (we) don't like them; I don't have anything against DreamWeaver and similar software that help bring the code together faster and check for mistakes (although I am indeed one of those who got used to coding in Notepad XD or now directly into the cPanel file manager) :)

freecrm

Reaction score
They are fully built websites that allow you certain customization features while giving you simple forms to add the content to your website. All of the structure and functions are already built for you and you only control, basically, the text and images the user will see, and not how the site works proper.

Yuk.... :nuts:

Whats the point?

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Lol!
Well, you see, it's like blog sites. Very few people know even the basics of webmastering, compared to the huge amounts of people who want a website. Using a CMS is like being a client telling to a webmaster "I want this and that on my site, now do it". And since you're not paying him you never get more than what you ask, and of course you can't ask too much either ;)

You actually get a lot of built in features (forums, news, blogs, galleries, polls, chats, templates, the list goes on...), but in my opinion your site loses all its essence, it has no "soul" anymore. It feels like you're on someone else's website, renting space to put up your own stuff.
It can be a pretty good start to see the mechanics of a website, but the coding is usually so complete/complex that you can't really start learning from that anyway. I really just see it as a Beginner's guide to having a website (not making one).

natsuki

Reaction score
CMS (Content Management System) are the ones like forums phpBB, wiki, blog, etc.. which are premade and usually has a lot of features and complex code.. I also didn't know what CMS meant before ^^;

OT: salvatos I really like your idea of a PHP RPG I support you on that! Can't wait to see it!

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well I have nothing against open source forums though, usually you can find one that corresponds to what you need, and making a forum by yourself seems quite a bit more difficult to me than a website. But I don't like the CMSes that do (or try to do) everything for you.

Also thanks for your interest in the RPG ^^
It's in French for now, but since I have a lot of English-speaking friends who are interested, I might try to make it bilingual at some point. Would be tricky, though, because of the player interaction.