php vs html

Beavis

Reaction score
I like PHP. HTML is simple and boing. You can code veriousthings wit PHP. Plus I'm still learning it.

TranceOperator

Reaction score
Ok wow, lots of responses. The thing is this; if you plan on having a huge website with a gazillion downloads, a gazillion visitors and making a gazillion dollars, you will no doubt need a PHP run website (or another type of system but you're asking about PHP). Why? Because PHP will produce things for you! You can set up a page that will have a "template" for the downloads, and what PHP will do is ask you: download filename? size? review? maker? ect. You click submit and whalla - PHP has uploaded, and displayed the new file you added without you having to even open an HTML editor, or getting out your FTP client. You can write news and PHP will create the new spot for the news right away. It basically does all of the hard work for you, and you can customize what you want so that what it produces is yours.

The downside of PHP is that yes, a lot of popular scripts have "exploits", or security faults. This means that someone out there has figured out a way to gain illegal access to the script admin (or at least able to mess it up). But to avoid this all you have to do is continue updating the scripts when the develoupers come out with the updates.

There is a thing called PHP-Nuke that takes all the cool features of PHP and puts them together in one big system (Nuke). I don't like Nuke personally because of the way it makes the sites look (they all have the same layout!), ect. But it is very nice for a newbie who just wants to have a cool site.

Now, if you're going to have just a small personal website displaying your graphics, ect. You most likely won't need PHP unless you have a lot of downloads or something.

If you're like a lot of people now, you may also choose to mix your site between HTML pages and PHP. That is the case with my website right now. My main page is a .php so that it can display the 50 newest downloads at the top left (reading from a MySQL database), but the rest of the page is pure HTML. When you click for instance About Me, this is an HTML page loading in an iframe (inline frame) on my PHP page! Shwew! I hope this doesn't confuse you.

Anyway, there's plenty of other examples. If you click contact me, the page is a PHP script. If you click forums, it brings you to PHPBB which are PHP run forums.

It's really all up to you and how convenient you want your site. :grin:

Kay

Reaction score
Although I started with html - php is the code to use it has great advantages, like forums we wont be able to view the forum

ss128

Reaction score
everyone starts with html, except for me. i started with php, not knowing that those little "<>" tags i was using werent html.

btw, php or asp or perl only pwns html if you have a database or some sort of data record.

conmark

Reaction score
where's a good place for php learning tutorials, like htmlgoodies is for html