Plan on Buying an SSD for Windows 7.. Need Advice

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
With Windows 7 coming up, I plan on buying an SSD and having it run in conjunction with my existing 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD.

My plan is to make the SSD my primary drive, and install 32-bit Windows 7 OS files on the SSD. Then I would put the pagefile/documents/music/games/everything else on the HDD.

(1) Will this setup maximize my machine's performance and increase the lifespan of the SSD?

I figure since SSD's have such limited write cycles, won't having only OS files minimize the number of writes? (i.e. will it be reading more often than writing?)

(2) Also, what size SSD should I get? I know the 7 RC recommends 16 gigs free, but has there been any info on hardware requirements for the final release?

(3) What's the difference between SATA and SATA II? Are the plugs different, or is it just a speed difference? I see SSD's labeled as either SATA or SATA II (I know that PATA is completely different)

I know this is a rather loaded thread, but these are all questions I'd like to have answered. Thanks!

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Good idea moving the paging file to the hard drive. It'll kill the SSD if the paging file is on it.
File that change less frequently, but need fast access such as programs belong on the SSD.

If you're only putting the OS on the SSD, it won't need to be very big: 32GB may be fine if you disable System Restore.

The difference between SATA and SATAII is access speed: theoretical 1.5MB/s and 3MB/s respectively. That's only theoretical: in reality the difference will be negligible.

pceasies

Reaction score
For just Windows 7, 32GB is enough, most people see the real performance when launching and using programs and games. It is a lot more expensive, but you'll see better performance with all programs and games on it (128GB in this case). Then you'll move TEMP and Pagefile to SATA drive to take some strain off the SSD.

lucia1

Reaction score
For just Windows 7, 32GB is enough, most people see the real performance when launching and using programs and games. It is a lot more expensive, but you'll see better performance with all programs and games on it (128GB in this case). Then you'll move TEMP and Pagefile to SATA drive to take some strain off the SSD.

Google SSD Problems. There is a lot of useful information regrding SSDs on the Internet. Read some of that information, see if it applies to you. Then narrow your area of inquiry, if you still need help. If you order an SSD, make sure that you can return it, if it does not work with your setup.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Good idea moving the paging file to the hard drive. It'll kill the SSD if the paging file is on it.
File that change less frequently, but need fast access such as programs belong on the SSD.

If you're only putting the OS on the SSD, it won't need to be very big: 32GB may be fine if you disable System Restore.

The difference between SATA and SATAII is access speed: theoretical 1.5MB/s and 3MB/s respectively. That's only theoretical: in reality the difference will be negligible.

I think you mean 1.5Gbps and 3Gbps. 1.5MB/s and 3MB/s would be crazy slow for a hard drive.