Please review my news site!

chatngox

Reaction score
Hi all,
Could someone review my site http://chatngo.co and tell me what you think! This is a website for gaming and pc related news and has been around for 4 years! I have recently totally revamped the site and would like some sort of review.

Thanks,

learning_brain

Reaction score
OK - here goes...

Immediate reaction... a bit busy. The header is very slim and it took me a while to find the "Your PC, your game".. whicj still didn't really tell me much about the site. OH.... 10 seconds in and I find a statement hidden on the right that says "where you'll find the latest pc and gaming news."

OK, now that I know that, I'm a little underwhelmed. There are tons of sites like this on the net so I'm now thinking - what's so different?

20 seconds in and I can't see anything particularly different... there's plenty of buttons and tags and social network options, but in all fairness, it just makes it look cluttered.

I do like the 2 column layout, but everything is just so.... cramped! It needs air and spacing. Users have a scroll function, so spread your content out a bit, or have some content flip up on a link:hover.

If you look at the latest page I'm working on, you'll see what I mean (http://www.qualityimagesearch.com/test.php. This design is light, open and very straight-forward. You can see what it is almost immediately and interactive buttons and search bars are in contrast to the light background so the user knows what he can/can't do.

You may find it all gets a bit clearer if you do more work with your css hovers. At present, many of the links change from a grey... to another very similar grey - not much to go on there. Why not try something a little more dramatic? Blue features quite heavily so why not use it for interactivity too?

The header really does need opening out a lot. Currently, it's struggling to get all the content in and is, for some reason, wider than the overall wrapper.

The body:background-image you're using is centered but a fixed width and is not wide enough even for my 1280pix wide display. Bear in mind that many displays are MUCH wider than that these days so this is going to look a little weird. Also, the majority of the image is hidden... so why use one at all? perhaps a repeating, modern texture would have a better look?

Your boxes on the right are well defined and simple to grasp. Your news articles on the left however, are not. Again, why not try adding a border to each news article or perhaps an understated shadow?

I can see you've used wordpress for this, so unless you understand how the css interacts with the page structure, any major changes are going to be tricky (hence why I hate using CMS systems!) but if you take your time, you should be able to make some good, useful alterations without totally wrecking the overall design.

Also, I noticed, this is not a responsive design (it doesn't change when viewed on a mobile). Is this an old Wordpress Theme? You might like to explore progressive design templates (if they exist).

Hope some of this helps a bit!

Good luck

Richard

necpro

Reaction score
Hello,

You used WordPress 3.5 for this website.
Page looks nice but maybe it's better to not use this black color.
I think it would have been better with a white background and black text.

chatngox

Reaction score
Hello,

You used WordPress 3.5 for this website.
Page looks nice but maybe it's better to not use this black color.
I think it would have been better with a white background and black text.
I was thinking about dark nav and light background etc But there are some things I like to keep etc.
I know looks ugly, but I'm not the only site that uses dark. Some of the site still use dark.

Thanks guys for the review!

Last edited: