Poll: Who is No:1(Google,Yahoo,Microsoft)

Who is No:1 on Internet/Technology ?

• Total voters

beechy

Reaction score
Hi friends,

With your experience and dependency ,Who is no:1 site on internet ???

Don't vote with thoughts from alexa ranking....

Vote by their services,growth rate...etc...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well ok. The way I look at it, this answer is Google. As of recently, Google has started to become huge, starting things such as GooglePages, GMail, buying YouTube and merging Google Video, Picasa, Blogger, and plus they are honestly one of the best search engines as well, and now, they own their own cell phone which they launched to T-Mobile, the Google Android.

Microsoft has been big from the start, owning software on the majority of PCs out there (Windows). They've grown a little past the software industry by doing things such as making the Zune or starting services such as Skydrive, Club Live and Hotmail, and a while back ago when they started MSN (since the start of the internet) and MSNBC, but basically, that's just about it. MSN search did move to Windows Live Search, but even then, it's still the same search engine as it's always been, but it's still trying to rival Google in terms of the quality of the searches.

Yahoo I haven't seen change at all within the last few years. Sure, there's tons of services that Yahoo runs such as web hosting (Microsoft and Google do this as well) ShoutCAST, Yahoo Games, Radio, Weather, Sports, etc. However the search engine works very close to where Google's is. I've used some of the webmaster tools in Site Explorer on their site and I'd have to say they're very useful.

Really, since you didn't necessarily say if this was a search engine battle, I'd have to break this up somehow. If you're talking about overall growth within this year, it's going to obviously be Google. This is all thanks to GMail, buying YouTube and Google Android.Overall growth from day one of the company, would obviously be Microsoft. Growth in services since day one would be Yahoo of course.

So it's really hard for me to decide who is number one. But hey, it's what competition does to you.

vol7ron

Reaction score
... now, they own their own cell phone which they launched to T-Mobile, the Google Android.
Just wanted to say that Google owns the software, not the phone. Android is the SDK platform and not the phone. The phone is called the G1 and I don't think Google is even getting a kickback from the profits. Instead they're hoping to increase the number of Ads phones receive.

Microsoft has been big from the start, owning software on the majority of PCs out there (Windows). They've grown a little past the software industry by doing things such as making the Zune or starting services such as Skydrive, Club Live and Hotmail, and a while back ago when they started MSN (since the start of the internet) and MSNBC, but basically, that's just about it.
Microsoft has the #1 selling Operating System, a large code base, lots of SDKs for many platforms, MSN Messenger, etc. They pretty much have everything, they just need to work on perfecting it. I know you didn't just talk about MS hardware and not mention the XBOX!

As for my opinion, Google is #1 site on the internet, because I mainly use the internet for searching/learning as well as for viewing financials. Microsoft is the close #2.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I didn't forget about the Xbox. The Xbox is one of the world's most popular gaming consoles out there!

abcisaac

Reaction score
I like the google search engine, but I actually use it only when all else fails. I really like Microsoft products basically because they're really good--good enough to pay for. Google phone? I've been using a phone that runs Windows mobile for a couple years and I *love* it. My favorite game of all time it a Microsoft game--Age of Empires and that came out like 15 years ago? As for web site usefulness, I think Google has a better search engine, but I like the msn homepage. The only other google service I'm interested in is gmail--it's the only free mail service I know of that lets me use Outlook instead of doing it all online.
Edit:
Yeah, don't let's forget that most of the business world uses Microsoft products because they're good and (mostly) reliable and well supported.

Last edited:

alcramer

Reaction score
Hi abcisaac--
I don't know what country you live in, but in mine (USA) the fact that most of the business world is doing something is a good reason to avoid it inasmuch as those bozos have managed to destroy our economy but good. Having said that: my Dell laptop just died & I'm having to do my C++ developement on my Mac IBook, using the Gnu compiler... boy do I miss the Microsoft C++ debugger! That was the one thing Microsoft did that noone else did better.

timch

Reaction score
I would say Google, as they offer some great services without annoying ads and things you don't want. Yahoo, in my opinion is just filled with too many unrelated things. If I want to search the web, I want to search the web. So give me a search box and nothing else.
And M$'s live services are almost good, but things like the search fail to retrieve great results and it is very much closed to the Windows platform (In that it ties in well with your Windows software but less so with a Mac or Linux computer).

Google works perfectly, and does what it should, and nothing more.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I have to say that I think Google has expanded most, what with their first browser and I service and phone. Gmail is amazing, as is Google Webmaster tools and Adsense. Youtube is also useful, but I think they should merge it with google videos.

Google earth is nice as well.

~Callum

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Youtube is also useful, but I think they should merge it with google videos.

Google earth is nice as well.

~Callum

They have in a sense. To try to make video streaming faster and to make more room for higher quality video, Google is using new and existing Google Video servers with the old YouTube servers from when they bought the site and adding new servers. So that could count as a merge. Plus if you search within Google video, it searches both YouTube and Google Video unless you tell it not to.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
The Google empires main revenue is ads, while Microsoft's empires main revenue is something written in code. I hate them, their monopoly, their ethics but they are more powerful then Google.

On the other hand, Google is starting to work behind Microsoft to become the trend setter. Microsoft has not come up with anything new or amazing for some time.

As for now, Google has a good start, but Microsoft is still bigger.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
True, but that means more of there money has been spent expanding thier company. Most computers don't run on Google.

Domenico

Reaction score
Google, Yahoo and Microsoft are all # 1 in their own feild respectedly.

Google is #1 in search engines, Microsoft in software, and yahoo is... nothing comes to mind.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Google, Yahoo and Microsoft are all # 1 in their own feild respectedly.

Google is #1 in search engines, Microsoft in software, and yahoo is... nothing comes to mind.

But from the looks of it Google is going to do everything Microsoft has done.

Next comes, Google OS called: GoOSgle or GoOgleS or GoogOS

cherii

Reaction score
Either Google or Microsoft. MS has definitely been around for longer (or at least it seems like it), but both are very well known. I'd have to say Google because of all the extra stuff they're throwing at us these days.