PostgreSQL Down on Level Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer640

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the whole server is offline now but for a while now PostgreSQL has been unusable. It says the Postgre server is offline. It's been like this for weeks though. Is it just me?

EDIT*
The Level server was offline for a second but now it's back on I guess. But why is the PostgreSQL server always offline?

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, that's a bit of a problem, all right. All you get with Free Hosting is MySQL; there is no PostgreSQL server available from your account. If at any time there was one visible from your account, it was a major (and temporary) misconfiguration.

Palmer640

Reaction score
Yes, that's a bit of a problem, all right. All you get with Free Hosting is MySQL; there is no PostgreSQL server available from your account. If at any time there was one visible from your account, it was a major (and temporary) misconfiguration.

Ah, it must have been because it showed up on there for a long time before I switched from premium (before I had premium).

But I never used it. May I ask, is there a specific reason that PostgreSQL is not included in free hosting?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Two reasons, I'd imagine. First is that it's an extra bunch of servers to maintain and support (there would be both equipment and personnel costs); second would be that users would have effectively double the number of databases available to them (since the default config for most software packages is MySQL, you can't realistically reduce the number of MySQL databases). cPanel doesn't have the facility to do a mix'n'match combination to a total number of databases, and there's no good way to offer users a one-time "what DBMS do you want to use" choice (since most users are clueless, and the coin toss says half of them will pick the wrong option and generate a lot of support noise).

Status
Not open for further replies.