Problem setting up a parked domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaughran82

Reaction score
Hi,
the files for my website (www.gaughran.com) was recently suspended and deleted. I forgot to log on last month.

I have since recreated my account and re-uploaded the website files (gaughran.x10host.com). I need this to resolve to www.gaughran.com as it was previously. I am unable to set up the parked domain 'gaughran.com' without changing the nameservers with the domain registrar of 'gaughran.com'. I don't want to change the nameservers given that this will interupt an existing email service for 'gaughran.com'.

Previously, I had set up an 'A' record for 'gaughran'.com - 108.178.57.230.

I have 2 questions:
1 - is this 'A' record still valid? If not, what is it?
2 - is there anything else I need to do to restore 'www.gaughran.com'?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
That was never a valid A record for our free hosting servers, as far as I can recall, for the last few years they have all been in a totally different IP range. The server you are on right now have 198.91.81.5 as the IP you should set for an A record.

In order to get the domain to work, it needs to be parked on the account, regardless of A record set or not. You can however change back the name servers to those of your preference once the domain has been parked properly.

lylex10h

Reaction score
Does the catch-all function mentioned on the bottom of https://x10hosting.com/wiki/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain still work (article has not been updated in 6 years)? Couldn't find it cPanel but may be temp solution for gaughran82.

You may just have to bite the bullet and change the name servers. Just do it at a time when you receive the least amount of email such as on the weekend. Should be noted this is not just a x10hosting thing, a very large hosting company has the same policy.

gaughran82

Reaction score
That was never a valid A record for our free hosting servers, as far as I can recall, for the last few years they have all been in a totally different IP range. The server you are on right now have 198.91.81.5 as the IP you should set for an A record.

In order to get the domain to work, it needs to be parked on the account, regardless of A record set or not. You can however change back the name servers to those of your preference once the domain has been parked properly.

Anna,
thanks for your prompt response. I have made all those changes as advised.
How likely is the 'A' record to change?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The A record should not change unless you for some reason are switched to another server during a larger mainenence period, or end up having to recreate the account at some point in the future as there's no guarantee you'll end up on the same server.

ncrgpcri

Reaction score
Hi i also have an issue trying to park a domain,

Domain: ncrg.ie
registrar: register365.com

while trying to park the domain i get this error:

Unable to add the domain name − (XID ug22f3) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

When i try to change the name servers via my registrar i get this error:

Dear customer,

There were problems redelegating ncrg.ie to the following
nameservers:ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

The error message received from the registry/registrar was:

Parameter value policy error. While checking Nameserver hostname for
nameserver: ns1.x10hosting.com for domain: ncrg.iens1.x10hosting.com is not
authoritative for zone ncrg.ie. While checking Nameserver hostname for
nameserver: ns2.x10hosting.com for domain: ncrg.iens2.x10hosting.com is not
authoritative for zone ncrg.ie.

Can anyone help please??