Re-Review - Image Search Engine

learning_brain

Reaction score
I had no idea you meant "force download" like that.... what browser are you using???? That's scary!!!!

Anyhoo - done

Directly accessing image size (which I do store - sorry for the confusion) to dictate tag info, together with alt tag. I've also altered the css for this image to re-size to window limits.

I think I did it in iframe format due to earlier problems with hotlinking. I'd noticed some sites are using the anti-hotlinking get around and the iframe seemed to sort it, but a forced download is more problematic.

css for wordwrap amended - thanks for the link.

Due to the earlier "imagesize" confusion, Misson has helped with a good technique to get remote filesizes, so I should be able to display them soon in results.

Bumbly

Reaction score
I like it, would be even better if you could add a "find public domain images" check box. A lot of designers would bookmark it for sure, Google images will locate any images but if you're manually checking them and could separate the public domain images from the rest your site would be a godsend.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I had no idea you meant "force download" like that.... what browser are you using???? That's scary!!!!
It's nothing scary, ever wondered how sites know when to download files such as new software etc. It can be done through headers sent before the data that tell the computer it is not a page but a file instead. Other times it is at the browser's discretion as to whether that specific format should be downloaded or just opened. Additionally, some browsers will first ask the user if they want to download the file whilst some will just plough straight on. Anyway, the problem appears to be fixed.
If the hotlinking issue remains problematic, perhaps a middle-ground could be drawn in which an image tag is used first, then if the image doesn't load then it falls back to an iframe. Again, this would require Javascript, but this is another thing that is pretty trivial.

Word-wrap: fixed

Image presizing: You should also implement this on the search results page, this is where I initially meant as this is where the reflow of the page each time an image loads is most noticeable.

Beyond this now and the drag resizing, I can't really think of anything more that isn't just nitpicking. It's already hugely better than before.

learning_brain

Reaction score
First off - my 10240MB Bandwidth has just run out!!!! Again!!!!!...... grumble grumble.... and yes I am upgrading before you suggest it. :D

I like it, would be even better if you could add a "find public domain images" check box. A lot of designers would bookmark it for sure, Google images will locate any images but if you're manually checking them and could separate the public domain images from the rest your site would be a godsend.

Thanks Bumbly. Nice idea but at present, the crawler makes no distinction with copyright. I did have a function that extracted the meta data from the image, sometimes giving copyright notice, but this feature wasn't in huge demand and was taking up space... so it got dumped. :S

It's nothing scary, ever wondered how sites know when to download files such as new software etc. It can be done through headers sent before the data that tell the computer it is not a page but a file instead. Other times it is at the browser's discretion as to whether that specific format should be downloaded or just opened. Additionally, some browsers will first ask the user if they want to download the file whilst some will just plough straight on. Anyway, the problem appears to be fixed.
If the hotlinking issue remains problematic, perhaps a middle-ground could be drawn in which an image tag is used first, then if the image doesn't load then it falls back to an iframe. Again, this would require Javascript, but this is another thing that is pretty trivial.

Word-wrap: fixed

Image presizing: You should also implement this on the search results page, this is where I initially meant as this is where the reflow of the page each time an image loads is most noticeable.

Beyond this now and the drag resizing, I can't really think of anything more that isn't just nitpicking. It's already hugely better than before.

Oops - forgot about the results page image sizes - I'll do that when it's back up in Feb - I hate doing development work if I can't test it. Yes I do have XAMPP, but I prefer to do it live. (am I wrong?)

The only things left to do now are to introduce a clean index page, which takes you to a results page...

Add in filesizes that are now starting to show up on the image view...

Crawl several hundred thousand more pages!

oh - and sort the minor problem of re-sizable column widths lol...

Last edited: