Reputation Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We have recently reworked the reputation system so it actually means something :). In order to do this I did have to wipe out all previous reputation given, a lot of it was given by means of rep clubs or other ways that are no longer allowed. Here is how the new system works:

Every user starts with 1 rep point and a rep power of 1. Rep power is the amount of rep points your rep is worth. So if I had a rep power of 10 and I repped you, you would get 10 points. This grossly skewed rep scores before, so right now everyone is limited to a rep power of 1, you only gain an additional rep power every 5,000 posts.

You must have at least 5 posts before your rep will count when given to someone.

You can only give a maximum of 3 reps per day.

You can only give the same person 1 rep per 20 given. So if you rep me today, you can not rep me again until you have repped at least 20 other people.

Going forward reputation will actually mean something so it's important it is kept under control, I hope the above limits will help with this.

-Corey

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Is there a definite place where we can check how many reputation points we have? This information used to be provided on the landing page of the User Control Panel, but it appears as if the box was removed.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This is wonderful. It's better when it means something! :) It should motivate members to post quality content too.

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
This is wonderful. It's better when it means something! :) It should motivate members to post quality content too.

Yes, that would be a plus. You'll see people spam still and they will get nowhere.

vekou

Reaction score
This grossly skewed rep scores before, so right now everyone is limited to a rep power of 1, you only gain an additional rep power every 5,000 posts.

wow, 5,000 posts is a LOT!! hopefully, this will not make other people spam the forums with nonsense.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
wow, 5,000 posts is a LOT!! hopefully, this will not make other people spam the forums with nonsense.

I doubt it. They wouldn't get anywhere with it. :p

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention... you can now give negative rep ;)

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Remember, if you see a post that you think is spam, report it. That's what the report feature is for, sometimes we miss them if you report what you see then we can take care of it. Just don't abuse it like some members do.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Just don't abuse it like some members do.

Surely you don't mean me ;)

Everything I smack report on legitimately is in the wrong spot or is spamalicious or otherwise TOS violating :p

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

I think 5,000 posts is an excellent choice. It determines who is truly a veteran on these forums. You can't really spam 5,000 posts before getting banned for spam.

Oh, forgot to mention... you can now give negative rep ;)

Also an excellent addition. Hopefully people won't start abusing this. Is it possible to implement a system where you have to already have a particular amount of reputation before being able to give negative rep? I'd hate to see a new member with destructive intentions negative rep everyone.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Also an excellent addition. Hopefully people won't start abusing this. Is it possible to implement a system where you have to already have a particular amount of reputation before being able to give negative rep? I'd hate to see a new member with destructive intentions negative rep everyone.

That's why 5 posts are needed before your rep effects anybody.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
That's why 5 posts are needed before your rep effects anybody.

lol I'm pretty sure most people would be able to get five legitimate posts within a few minutes. There's quite a bit to talk about around here.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Meh. I guess so. I don't think it'll be a big problem though.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
If you guys see people abusing the system, feel free to PM me and I can take a look into it. Even though it is hard to do, it probably could be done.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Surely you don't mean me ;)

Everything I smack report on legitimately is in the wrong spot or is spamalicious or otherwise TOS violating :p

You would actually be a good model to show people on what to report/not report.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
If you guys see people abusing the system, feel free to PM me and I can take a look into it. Even though it is hard to do, it probably could be done.

That's good, thanks.

I'm also afraid of "revenge negative repping" - negative repping someone just because you got negative repped yourself.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
I'm going to have to check with Corey, but I think that would be classified as reputation abuse.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't see who leaves negative rep.. only a staff member can. Also negative rep is worth half and follows the same rules as rep... 3 per day, same person not more than once every 20 people.

-Corey

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. Time for me to write some useful tutorials xD.

So negative rep is enabled for everyone now or only for staff?

ParallelLogic

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty well regulated system ideally, though I'm not quite sure of the point of negative reputation. Given that negative rep is weighted only half as much as normal reputation, it seems like you're almost saying "We expect 1 in 3 users to do something bad that is note worthy while the other 2 do something positive that is note worthy: a 2:1 ratio of good to bad is our model of x10". I'm not that familiar with what reputation even does for a user (is it used to purchase upgrades of some kind?) but it seems a tad counter productive to have the ability for some users to sabotage others (even minimally).

Status
Not open for further replies.