RESTful through free web host (PUT, DELETE)

Discussion in 'Scripts, 3rd Party Apps, and Programming' started by mgorgeix, Mar 25, 2015.

1. mgorgeix

mgorgeix New Member

Just want to start by saying that I have researched this subject for a while now--through trying methods on Stackoverflow.com and using searches on this forum to see if someone else has addressed this question.

Is it possible to use the verbs PUT or DELETE? I understand if it is not allowed by the host, but I haven't found a thread that explicitly says that they are not allowed or that someone was successful or unsuccessful using them. I either get a 404 or 405 error when trying to use these on x10host.com. I have modified .htaccess and the target's headers to no avail.

2. leafypiggy

leafypiggy Manager of Pens and Office Supplies Staff Member

PUT and DELETE are HTTP verbs that are understood by the webserver... what I would believe is happening is that your application doesn't understand the requests. What is an example URL that is causing this behavior?

3. mgorgeix

mgorgeix New Member

Okay I sort of misspoke and maybe I'm wrong altogether. _SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] comes up as null everytime I send POST, DELETE, or PUT. I have no problems with a GET request.

http://mgorgei.x10host.com/test/

Pressing Add will send POST, Delete with a <tr> highlighted will send DELETE. Right now, the php page receiving the request is taking GET only and passing phpinfo(32); if it sees anything else. This is just demonstrating _SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] coming empty, I obviously wouldn't leave it this way if it worked.

4. essellar

essellar Community Advocate Community Support

Why are you using QUERY_STRING with PUT?

5. mgorgeix

mgorgeix New Member

I'm not even sure.

You have to pass data somehow otherwise I just don't see the reason behind request methods. Shouldn't you specify what resources you're changing with PUT, what you're deleting with DELETE, etc.? If not through QUERY_STRING, then what? It would seem logical to me if GET would pass a value through QUERY_STRING, then why not the other request methods.

6. AngusThermopyle

AngusThermopyle Active Member

Look up how POSTs are handled. The data is in the body of the request, not in a query string attached to the URL.

PUTs should be handled similarly.

Any request that changes data should never use query-strings. (Think of the URL being saved in browser History or Bookmarks. And then called again. The request is repeated. Is that what you really want? PUT the same deposit/purchase twice?)

7. mgorgeix

mgorgeix New Member