Restoring site to new hosting service

Status
Not open for further replies.

eezeee

Reaction score
My wordpress.org based website was abruptly closed though I have the backup the the hosting service sent to me.
I do not know how to intall it (its tar.gz file)
can someone give me easy instructions?
Thanks

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi eezeee,

What is inside the .tar.gz file? If you're looking to restore a WordPress blog, you would need a database backup to restore all your posts, users and settings. ;)

Thank you,

eezeee

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
The file is zipped and contains three main ie log, public html and a file called "do not upload"
The public html contains all the wordpress files.
I TRIED replacing these in the public html folder by ftp transfer but i get error, cannot connect to database.
The hos did not give any database file. Everything ought to be in the pblic html, I thought.
Please give me any hints i could try out.
thanks

Hi eezeee,

What is inside the .tar.gz file? If you're looking to restore a WordPress blog, you would need a database backup to restore all your posts, users and settings. ;)

Thank you,

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Your WordPress files (in public_html) will contain scripts like themes and plugins. Unfortunately posts, users and settings would be in your database backup. If you would like to recover these, you would need a database backup from your previous host (or you could start fresh).

Thank you,

eezeee

Reaction score
Hi,

Your WordPress files (in public_html) will contain scripts like themes and plugins. Unfortunately posts, users and settings would be in your database backup. If you would like to recover these, you would need a database backup from your previous host (or you could start fresh).

Thank you,

Thank you so much for your advice.
Yes, as of now i started afresh .....The thing is when i asked the previous host to send me files they sent me a zipped file which i though should be having the backups (including database) but i cannot make it out.
Anyway, one cant hold on to things endlessly :)
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.