Rocket launched 5/31/08

hermitobserver

Reaction score
if anyone was watching fox or cnn or some other news show, you propably saw the several pieces of something that flew by the shuttle. The shuttle was 3 minutes, 52 seconds into the flight when this happened. It was on its was to the Intenational Space Station (ISS) to deliver the Japanese part of the lab. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't watch it but from previous launches, I'm betting it's paint, ice (condensation on the side of the rocket freezing as it gets into space, then dislodging and falling), and possibly insulation or foam.

The latter's caused problems on other launches, but as far as paint and ice goes, that's nothing to worry about. The ice'll melt, and the paint chips would be so thin they'd crush like paper if they hit anything before being incinerated.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably the ususal that blows off of a shuttle during takeoff, pieces of insulation from the engine, or things like ice. Stuff falls from the shuttle every time. Well, the take off did go nicely, and in a few days we should see how the installation of the new lab will go. Otherwise, I saw those pieces fly off as well, on an HDTV.

Otherwise, did anyone see CNN's website and their remark on them also bringing up a toilet pump? :p

hermitobserver

Reaction score
I saw that... kinda stupid. But those pieces were kinda big and I think they were black. But they might have been in the shadows.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
News said it was foam. Shouldn't be too worried about it, they're trained to patch up any damage done (it worked previously)