scgiwrap: Caller must be the nobody user

purrfectsites

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't changed anything, but now I've noticed that my web form submission gives the following error, "scgiwrap: Caller must be the nobody user." I don't know how long it's been like this, but it was working just fine in the past. I went to cPanel to see if I needed to click on the Simple CGI Wrapper again, thinking that perhaps something had gone awry on the server so that it had lost the functionality. However, there is no CGI section in cPanel anymore (looks very different from the last time I used it months ago when I set everything up). According to your site, free hosting still includes CGI support. I sent an e-mail to you with the same info, but then remembered that I could do a support ticket and thought that might get a better response.

I am using EZ Form Mailer Version 1.4 by 3rd Coast Technologies, LLC. The script is still in the scgi-bin and nothing has changed on my end since the form worked perfectly before. It is a simple form that just sends info from the form fields as a plain text e-mail to an e-mail address. I'm a front-end Web designer, not a programmer, so this script works well for me.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Hi purrfectsites,

I have moved this from the Free Hosting Community Support area to the Third-Party Applications area, as I believe you will get more help from people familiar with the EZ Form Mailer v1.4.

- Adam

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Try moving it to cgi-bin rather than scgi-bin; scgiwrap has always been problematic on X10. Failing that, an admin will need to move this back to Free Hosting support so it can be escalated.

purrfectsites

Reaction score
Adam,

I have received no response to my posting other than yours and absolutely no response from the support ticket that I opened the same day. Like I stated, my forms had been working just fine and with no changes on my end, I happened to discover that they are now not working. I did a search for "scgiwrap: Caller must be the nobody user" on the Internet and EVERY item I found said that it was a server issue. I even double-checked the file permissions and they had been changed so that the cgi file was no longer executable. I didn't make that change, X10hosting did. So I used CHMOD to fix that, thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't. I'm getting very frustrated. I should have at the very least received an acknowledgment that my support ticket was received and when to expect a response.

It's a simple script that just puts the content of the form into a plain text e-mail message and sends it to the e-mail address listed in the form tag...nothing complicated or fancy. I have several directories with different users (thus different e-mail addresses) that draw on the same cgi script.

I went to cPanel to check the status of the Simple CGI Wrapper in case somehow that needed to be reactivated again in order to run the script (in case server changes had messed that up), only to find that cPanel has changed and there is no longer a CGI section listed. According to the x10hosting site, free hosting still includes CGI support. So what's up with that anyway?

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you try running the script from cgi-bin?

purrfectsites

Reaction score
Running the script from the cgi bin doesn't fix the problem. I just uploaded it there and used CHMOD to make it executable, but I still get the same "scgiwrap: Caller must be the nobody user" error message. It is quite frustrating. I had it all working perfectly, x10hosting made some server changes that screwed it up, and I can't get any response via e-mail or the two support tickets I've opened on this issue. I don't even get an acknowledgment that the e-mail message or support tickets have been received. Talk about complete lack of support!

At this time, I'm shopping around for a different hosting provider. I can't keep going like this. I'm trying to get a business off of the ground and eventually switch to a paid hosting plan (preferably with the same host that I'm using for the free hosting, so I don't have to switch files around), but this complete lack of support tells me that x10hosting doesn't care about providing ANY kind of support.

Please note that this is the SECOND time that I have run into their complete lack of support. The first time, my entire site was down for a month.:mad:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you change the link in the form to use the script in cgi-bin? The error message indicates it's still trying to use the one in scgi-bin.

As for support, that's a big difference between paid and free hosting. There are quite a few more free users than paid users, many clamoring for help. The paid users (understandably) take priority. Your experience is rare, but a few people slip through the cracks from time to time. We free users often end up helping each other, when we can. I'm sorry you're having a hard time of it.

purrfectsites

Reaction score
Yesterday I did change the link in the form to use the script in cgi-bin. I uploaded the file and tested the form submission only to get a different error message. I don' remember exactly what the error message was . . . an "Internal Server" message of some sort. So I changed it back to scgi-bin and reuploaded the file. Just now I changed it back to cgi-bin so I could reproduce the new error message and post it here, but now the form works. Yay! So I must have just happened to have the luck to encounter some random server error yesterday when I went to test it.