Server Status Page

seeker67

Reaction score
I have a great idea.

I think that there should be a server status page for the free servers. The page could give the server name, the services currently up/down (ie mysql, cpanel, apache, ftp, email, etc.) and current load on the servers and applications currently running. It would be neat if there could be a warning status indicating a possible issue going on.

This would give users an idea of what services are up/down on the servers, which would give an overall picture of what is being upgraded and when, without needing constant whining for status updates.

Maybe there is a page like this already and I simply don't know where it is....

I have seen it done on other hosts though...

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Its in cpanel.You can check it. There is link Server Status.Status will be of the server which the user belongs.You are on stoli,so you will get the status of stoli

seeker67

Reaction score
I know about the cpanel one, but, I am saying it would be neat to have a universal page that everyone can see with the same information.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Its in cpanel.You can check it. There is link Server Status.Status will be of the server which the user belongs.You are on stoli,so you will get the status of stoli

If you are on stoli and stoli is down, how do you get to cPanel?

Plus, some are blocked from using cPanel at work, school, etc.

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are on stoli and stoli is down, how do you get to cPanel?

Plus, some are blocked from using cPanel at work, school, etc.

Yes you are correct.But i mentioned it in normal case

seeker67

Reaction score
I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to put a page like that together. I mean, you can easily query services to see if they are running. The only thing that would be hard would be the "warning" and server load things.

Plus, I think it is just neat to have that information...

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Corey doesn't like those service status pages. There was one up forever but then the person took it down.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple answer: no.

A simple ping or socket connection to a specific port doesn't definetively show whether the service is up or not. The only way to do this is to check if the process is running using shell commands, which isn't possible. We've had status pages in the past, and they're unreliable, and silly. They also always show mysql as down because remote SQL is disabled...

So, no. We won't have a server status page with on/off listings. We have status.x10hosting.com for that.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
An implementation would be to have a script on each server that checks for the services to see if they are on, and respond some XML or JSON on an unused port. You check that port and you parse the output. However, that system would be harder to implement and would be no good if the server is disconnected or shut-down.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Now hold on corey doesnt like those status pages? Why not we should be able to know about specificly what is going on with the servers. Yes it is possable and not hard. It would also eliminate the need for corey or another staff memeber to post everytime something is having a problem. Plus its a really handy thing when your at school, work, ect. and you cant go to the cpanel page. So give me a good and well explained reason why this souldnt be done. Dont just say it would be unreliable, well thats because the previous pages didnt have any real access to the servers. And with a well written app it would cause no problem on the servers.

Last edited:

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To explain it in a little more detail, user created service status pages are not reliable at all, as leafypiggy mentioned, the only way to reliably check the status would be to use shell commands on the server itself. You are right though, it is possible to create one that runs off each server and then it could output data somewhere which then gets displayed on the page. I do have a feeling that something like this may be implemented soon, i can't be sure though. Let's just wait and see. :) There is a huge discussion and has been for a long time about unreliable service status scripts.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
To explain it in a little more detail, user created service status pages are not reliable at all, as leafypiggy mentioned, the only way to reliably check the status would be to use shell commands on the server itself. You are right though, it is possible to create one that runs off each server and then it could output data somewhere which then gets displayed on the page. I do have a feeling that something like this may be implemented soon, i can't be sure though. Let's just wait and see. :) There is a huge discussion and has been for a long time about unreliable service status scripts.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Just to touch on this there's an app I made that opens a connection to the port indicated (well mostly; in the case of http, it actually tries to download a page and looks for the string <body - if it's there, the page is responding. If it fails, it ain't up). The real issue is that in quite a few situations it was reporting a service as down when in truth it was just running slower than normal, but you had to have a timeout specified or it'd take for freakin' EVER to run the check.

It's just not stable no matter how you slice it; the old status we had was the exact same way. It often showed MySQL as down when in truth the firewall was blocking the attempt as though it were an attack of some form, or would show http down because it's taking 5 seconds to respond and the timeout is 3.

ntsite

Reaction score
Corey doesn't like those service status pages. There was one up forever but then the person took it down.

Are you about Cpanel "Service Status" Page? Cause I searched this forum to get informated why this "status" page doesn't exist.

carrock

Reaction score
There is a "for guidance only" service monitor at
http://grd.net.pl/x10hosting/monitor/

Anyone looking at it who wants a reliable host would be likely to pick x10.....

The only time I've used it for real was when ftp failed. According to the monitor ( and my experience) it was down for less than two minutes that day.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you about Cpanel "Service Status" Page? Cause I searched this forum to get informated why this "status" page doesn't exist.

This is disabled on free hosting due to the way our services are setup.

ntsite

Reaction score
This is disabled on free hosting due to the way our services are setup.

Do you mean "Status.x10hosting.com"? If "Yes" - The data on that page is different than cPanel, and they are more detailed. For my opinion they are giving two different types of information, so they don't substitute each other, and by the way, the status page is not being updated since August 2010...
But anyway, cPanel's Status page is not a critical thing to ask for...