Shared SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

istore_admin

Reaction score
I know that X10 offers shared ssl but to use it you need to use the address "https://server.x10hosting.com/~username" but is it possible to get ssl enabled but by using "https://yourdomain.com" instead as it is not very easy to use the current address as my site's scripts navigate back to my domain anyway even if I use shared ssl and so it achieves nothing as it is then not a secure connection anymore. I was just wondering if it was possible to set it up as: "https://yourdomain.com" instead?

rafael.eti.br

Reaction score
Short version: Not gonna happen for free!

Long version: Technically, you already have https for your domain. Have you tried? The thing is that it will show a warning because the domain in the certificate doesn't match the one being accessed.

If you don't mind the warning, it is already done.

But if you mind, first, it would be necessary to generate a certificate for your domain. The thing is, certificates aren't free. There is a thing called auto-generated certificates, but those always give a warning, and by now we know you mind warnings. So no way they gonna be able to give you one free.

But even if you paid for a certificate, another problem would arise: the SSL layer (the "s" from "https") is lower level than the HTTP layer (or should I say higher? never mind), so that means it isn't possible to associate a certificate to a domain name. It is only possible to associate it to a IP+port combination. But so the port doesn't need to be type (or shown) in the URL, it must be the 443, and the IP is also the same for all domains, and is already associated with <server.x10hosting.com IP>+443.

So for them to do what you ask they would also need to allocate a IP just for your domain. Even using the same host just different IPs, still not going to happen because those aren't free either (although cheaper than a certificate) to not be shared just because of the HTTPS certificate.

And I doubt you would be willing to use another port, but even if you were, those are little limited (65536 for IP), and would need to be setup manually.

So, again, not gonna happen for free!

Last edited:

istore_admin

Reaction score
Ya I have tried ssl for my domain but i just get the error:

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.istore.za.net.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

* Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem."

As for the part about getting an ssl certificate I already have one but as you said, rafael.eti.br I dont have my own ip address for my domain. Any suggestions where i can get one?

Thanks,
iStore_admin

rafael.eti.br

Reaction score
Mmm... I just noticed they use two IPs per host, one that they use to resolve all the names hosted in their server, in your case, istore.za.net resolves to 216.245.223.218, and another IP that seems to be used only to resolve the actual host name, in your case lotus.istore.za.net resolves to 216.245.223.219.

So, to use their certificate (which will give a warning like I said), you would need to use a third-party DNS server, and make it point to 216.245.223.219 instead of 216.245.223.218.
Of course, setting up a DNS involves a little more than this, like setting MX records and changing the domain's nameservers at the registrar. Very simple actually, but can be a bit overwhelming at the first time, but if you wanna try, there is sitelutions.com which is free.

Now I'm not sure why they use this setup, but perhaps they don't want their certificate being used with other domains names (even through browsers give a warning).

As for the IP, getting one completly by yourself is complicate, and impossible, because they are sold in bunchs (networks). I'm not sure if there are service that sublocates single IP's, but this road is more complicated.

If you want to use your certificate, you to move to a paid hosting service that already includes a dedicated IP in the package, or that offers it as optional.

But with some luck, since you already has a certifacate, if x10hosting has a spare IP, and you get some admin in a good mood, perhaps you could get lucky enough to have them to set it for you. Did you ask them about using your certificate? Did they give your a answer?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
the shared ssl can only be accessed through the server name ( like stoli.x10hosting.com/~you) to get the certificate on your own domain, you have to purchase the certificate for your own domain.

I hope that clears this up.

Rithy58

Reaction score
I got a question. What do you mean by /~you?
If you have time, can you please also tell me how to enable the Shared SSL?
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Rithy

istore_admin

Reaction score
I created an account with Sitelutions.com and added my domain, istore.za.net. I changed my nameservers at my registrar and added the following IP Redirection for my domain:

A Records (Point to IP Addresses or Sitelutions Space)

Destination (IP or Sitelutions Space) - TTL
216.245.223.219 - 443

Is this correct?

Thanks,
iStore_admin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.