Shoutbox

dest581

Reaction score
So, a few years ago I started this little script that would display a random line of text in an image. Think of it as a random quote display. I put it in an image so it would show up in a forum signature.

Further learning about PHP, I decided to make it so others could change the text. This was fairly well accepted, and I got excited. I wanted it better.

The major improvement came when I made it so up to 6 comments could be posted at once, like a shoutbox. It was rather fun, but there were major security holes. Just about any PHP code could be run through it. I had forgotten security!

So, I remade all of the code from scratch. I used mySQL to store comments, and added in multiple layers of security. This is what I show to you today.

Feel free to post

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Really nice...
Isn't this similar to SigChat??... from Torch i think..

Zenax

Reaction score
Yes SigChat was form Torch. (BTW where is he?)

This is a very nifty script indeed!

Well done!

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Sigchat ws cool but it doesnt work anymore and torch hasn't been on for a while i don't know whre he is.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Think you can make this public or make me one???

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
dest581 said:
Thanks guys. I've spent quite some time on this.

I have a suggetion for this.

After somebody posts what they want, you should auto-filter out swears and stuff so we dont have to see them at all.

It really isnt that hard:p

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
Warning: mysql_result() [function.mysql-result]: Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 5 in /backups/home/dest/public_html/dyshout/postpost.php on line 18

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /backups/home/dest/public_html/dyshout/postpost.php:18) in /backups/home/dest/public_html/dyshout/post.php on line 30
I can't post.

Edit: Nevermind, it went through.

Last edited:

dest581

Reaction score
Every once in a while there's a strange error, that never occurred on the previous server it was on.

I'll work on the swear filter in a bit.

Finally, the code will be available when I get it organized. Parts of it are still rather sloppy, and the administrator panel still hasn't been tested.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
i want one of these when will it be back up?

dest581

Reaction score
The only time it was down was during the x10 downtime a few days ago. At the moment it's still unstable for release to anyone.

t2t2t

Reaction score
Why to use someones else code if you could make one yourself.

I made mine using a shoutbox that used mysql DB but i might think about choosing better software for shoutbox.

EDIT: New software long added, if anyone wonders.

Last edited:

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
That exact box looks so familiar, it seems like it is from someone named Dest on another hosts forums (name not going to be said, but if the creater is the same, then they might reconize it without the name). I thought it was cool then, and I still do. I might use it, not sure, seems simple to post and display, but all of the features you have seem confusing to code

dest581

Reaction score
Hmm... It seems this Dest person remembers a certain YamiKaitou. ;)

It isn't actually that hard to code. I've spent so much time on it because of the way in which I changed directions many times.