Side Banners In Forum

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Are the side banners in the forum supposed to appear and disappear on mouseover or has my browser just gone wacky?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep, that's supposed to happen. It was like that with the old forum layout as well as the previous 404 error pages and I think home page too. It's a Javascript effect.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't think I have ever seen that particular feature before.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Hahahaha vigge_sWe isn't just getting it at the edges, they've invaded his whole computer XD

~Callum

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep, they are everywhere I move my mouse. Only way I found to remove them were by disabling javascript, because my Adblock+ is borked. I notified an admin...

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Hahahaha vigge_sWe isn't just getting it at the edges, they've invaded his whole computer XD

~Callum

Yes. I have definitely been invaded by x10hosting. My desktop wallpaper is now an x10hosting logo, my default home page has been set to x10hosting.com, and my speakers announce "x10hosting - web hosting for the masses" every 10 seconds. Was not like this last night.......
JUST JOKING!
I actually like the new forum layout. It is just that I have a habit of moving mouse to right (out of the way), every time I read a post and was not sure if that effect was supposed to be happening or not. It is an interesting effect. I am guessing that the banners also refresh on mouseover which would be beneficial for the potential advertising revenue. May try to use this idea myself at a few places.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What is Google's position on this? they are normally pretty strict about how their ads are displayed and recall somehting in the TOS about not altering the visibility or obscuring all or part of an advert.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, there are some static ads as well...

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:
1> Displayed in pop-ups or pop-unders
2> Obscured by elements on a page.

Condition one might seem like splitting hairs, but if appears out of nowhere then it's pop up regardless of position on the screen. As for condition two, if turning the layer/div visability on and off does not count as 'obscuring' the advert then I need a new dictionary.

There is also a choice peice about using artificial methods to increase page views eg the Ye Old Meta Refresh trick and this also applies from the look of it. The only saving grace that I can see is that the adverts do not interfere with page navigation, otherwise Google would really be miffed.

jackson4christ

Reaction score
I'd guess that since the ads are triggered by mouse events google's robots don't "see" how they're hidden.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure Google made an exception or something because with a site this large, I'm sure they would know by now if it's violating the Adsense Terms of Service.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure Google made an exception or something because with a site this large, I'm sure they would know by now if it's violating the Adsense Terms of Service.

The side banners have not been appearing for several days - at least I don't see them anymore. The change may have been triggered by Adsense TOS or it may have simply been a management decision on the part of x10.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
The side banners have not been appearing for several days - at least I don't see them anymore. The change may have been triggered by Adsense TOS or it may have simply been a management decision on the part of x10.

Side banners are only visible for guests. Registered and logged in members will not get these.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Side banners are only visible for guests. Registered and logged in members will not get these.

Thanks for explaining that. I never browse the forums in logged out mode.