SSH Access Request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify3

Reaction score
I am trying to install Flarum and I know they have PocketHold however, I am really stuck here using that as I can't get past alot of the steps needed. Is there any way, a Staff can grant me SSH Access for my account on CPanel or will I be forced to switch to Premium?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You would need to go premium for ssh, and then it would be a jailed shell with some restrictions still. The only option if you need full and complete access is a VPS.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Full SSH can only ever be allowed on a VPS due to the potential for abuse; on Premium it would be somewhat restricted to prevent one user's account from being able to modify or access content on another user's account for privacy/security reasons.

On Free hosting however, SSH is far too great of a security risk to enable. We already combat a large amount of abuse occurring within the free hosting we offer, from phishing pages to scripts that are expressly named as forbidden in the Terms of Service that users still end up installing. Opening the free servers to SSH, even if it was jailed/restricted, would simply not be safe.

sebnpals

Reaction score
@amplify3 if you want to install Flarum you can always install it locally they have a windows tutorial on their site after then upload everything and import your database remember to edit the config file with the new database info and your URL and it should work fine after that. I have done this twice now only issue is adding extensions. Which if you want extensions install them before uploading flarum to x10hosting.

amplify3

Reaction score
@amplify3 if you want to install Flarum you can always install it locally they have a windows tutorial on their site after then upload everything and import your database remember to edit the config file with the new database info and your URL and it should work fine after that. I have done this twice now only issue is adding extensions. Which if you want extensions install them before uploading flarum to x10hosting.
I did the Window thing, and I transferred them over to the Site and it came up with a 500 Error. I was stuck using PocketHold 5 hours straight after not being able to install for 5 hours, in which on the 5th hour, I got it to work but, I was stuck for 5 hours, I don't understand how this is a security risk.

amplify3

Reaction score
If there is any type of security hole/exploit on the server, it is easier to exploit it with SSH access.
And may I ask, why I would do that, I just want a great Free Hosting Experience. Wouldn't it be a Security Risk to Premium Users too, or is it because, you'll take their money first, then suspend their account if they did something?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
And may I ask, why I would do that, I just want a great Free Hosting Experience. Wouldn't it be a Security Risk to Premium Users too, or is it because, you'll take their money first, then suspend their account if they did something?

Generally speaking, not all free hosting members are as interested in abiding by the Terms of Service. There's dozens every week who create accounts and are suspended only minutes later for breaching those Terms, usually by uploading phishing pages, brute-force password crackers, and malware designed to attempt to break through the server security or send hundreds of thousands of spam emails.

What we've noticed is that money itself is a very big "gateway" for malicious activity - someone who only wants to break the law or abuse the service is more than likely not going to pay for it, as that requires valid billing information to be provided with the payment. That's traceable, and makes it far easier to hold someone responsible (in a court of law or other legal/police/FBI investigation) than a service where payment is not received. While this can't prevent stolen payment information from being used, there's a plethora of other verification systems used to help minimize the risk there, including common sense - if the registration source is China but it's a US credit card with a US billing address for instance, questions should be asked.

There is still some risk with allowing SSH on Premium, however we have done our best to "lock down" the SSH to minimize any potential damage by someone trying to abuse it, and to alert us to any attempts to do so. Given the extremely high levels of abuse we see daily on free hosting without having SSH enabled however, it would be downright irresponsible for us to enable it, knowing it would be subjected to near-constant abuse attempts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

A bit long of a read, but that's pretty much the full story sadly. If everyone signing up would behave, there wouldn't be a bad apple to spoil the bunch.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Officially, SSL isn't supported on free hosting; I'm aware of some "tricks" involving CloudFlare to enable it, but I've not personally used them or have tried them to know how to properly set it up or maintain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.