Starka SAN Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Starka will be the first server to be migrated over to the new SAN setup. This is how it is going to go.

All /home data is going to be synced to the SAN, once complete we are going to do a second sync to catch anything that was changed. Any data that is updated on the server in between the two syncs will not be carried over. This only pertains to files as the databases are not local.

After the 2nd sync finishes we will be swapping out /home with the SAN. We will then run some benchmarks and tests to see how things went. If everything goes well we will start another server in a couple of days.

If there are no issues in a few weeks we will be taking down Starka to reinstall the OS and will most likely be putting an SSD setup in now that the bulk of the storage is moved to the SAN. Another announcement will be made prior to this happening. Since this is an informational thread it will be locked from questions. Please post questions in the other open news thread.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It is taking a lot longer then we originally thought to copy the files over. The file build for rsync took almost 18 hours!

Currently the files are copying over to the SAN, once complete we will make another update with the status.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an update... files are still copying. When we make backups it is at the block level so initially I was aiming for maybe double or triple our backup time but my estimate was way off. Starka has 29,000,000 files on it and this is slowing the transfer process way down. Unfortunately I estimate another 24-36 hours before it is complete. We have started Chopin to go alongside this transfer at the same time. The new plan is going to be as follows.

1.) Finish Starka sync
2.) Swap the file serving to the SAN - unfortunately this means we will have some stale data showing for some users.
3.) Do another sync to make sure any files that were modified during this process are now updated.

As the transfer gets closer to finishing we will make additional updates.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We will be doing the swap to the SAN shortly. There will be some interruptions during this. More updates will be posted shortly.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The SAN is now serving the files on Starka, however if you have made changes to your files in the past 24-48 hours it is possible they may be outdated depending on when the sync got to them. Another rsync is now running to update any files that were missed, I'm going to guess this will take a day.

Please report any issues by opening a thread in the free hosting section, we will actively be looking for any issues or problems related to the swap.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This has been completed including the 2nd pass of data updates. If you lost any files during this migration let us know and we can copy them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.