Too many requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

fekete

Reaction score
I have been getting Too many requests message in the last month.
The site has been up and running since 2010 without any problems.
All I have to do is request a page and the error appears (not every time but far too frequently for comfort). A few minutes later the problem is usually gone. The site has very low traffic so the error is hardly valid.
Cpanel shows 0 resources used except for disk space usage (approaching 1 Gig (924.71 Mb of unlimited available storage).

epicure2

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same problems with my WP site. I noticed that I've been getting frequent "Too many requests" errors on my site hosted on x04 since December. I've disabled/enabled plugins (including WordFence) and themes, been monitoring my resource usage, but to no avail. It's rendered my personal blog (which I've configured to restrict outside visitors) unusable.

fekete

Reaction score
There must be some resource restriction causing this irrational problem. No one seems to care. I get about 100 page loads a week so it certainly is not a valid error. The site has been running flawlessly for over 7 years then this error started popping up. There was a time when free hosting got reasonable support but that has changed. I am on X03 so it seems like more than one system has been effected.
I find it interesting to be called New member after 7 years.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The error has nothing to do with traffic per se, it's the number of simultaneous requests for resources (files the browser asks for). A single page visit can trigger the error if the browser's greedy enough. I don't have the access needed to investigate your particular issue, but I do know that some recent browser releases are "greedier" than they used to be in order to appear more performant (while, of course, becoming ever more bloated).

fekete

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply, the only one from anyone with extensive knowledge of x10
but I am still convinced that it is a resource restriction imposed on the server side, perhaps unintentionally. The same file (slight modifications) running on one of your other X10 servers has never run into the problem (same browser).
Thanks again for your effort to make X10 a better service through the years.

nmcarpet

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with your site, but there is something going on with the free server, I've been getting the same pop up after clicking on 3 links then it breaks, it also says I'm using too many resources (no php,cgi just plain html). I had to move my DNS to a new server until this stops, though the new one offers the same as x10 plus unlimited domains/sub-domains/email/mysql/webspace even free self signed SSL, i may just give up on x10 once again (Ive been using them since they opened)I am advertising my site and cant afford this sort of nonsense.

nmcarpet

Reaction score
The error has nothing to do with traffic per se, it's the number of simultaneous requests for resources (files the browser asks for). A single page visit can trigger the error if the browser's greedy enough. I don't have the access needed to investigate your particular issue, but I do know that some recent browser releases are "greedier" than they used to be in order to appear more performant (while, of course, becoming ever more bloated).
That's NOT the problem! it is a server sided issue, I've tried in ie,ff,opera,safari and they all trigger the same response.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, that is the problem. That doesn't mean that slowness on the server isn't a big part of it, just that the browser is making too many requests (that is, there are things not yet finished and returned before a new request is made). All current (desktop/notebook) browsers exhibit the same behaviour; a five-year-old browser would have made different assumptions about the network and server.

nmcarpet

Reaction score
I don't think youv'e actually experienced this problem for yourself; after clicking on three links the "TOO MANY REQUESTS" screen takes over, it will go away after 5 minutes and then it does it again, no mater what device I'm on or ISP.

This is a server issue, my website works perfectly on it's new domain server without an error. It is the server, I'm sure the guys at x10 will resolve the issue, they have worked through much worse...And they will work through this too, then I'll reset my DNS back to x10hosting...

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
There are a couple of rate limit rules on our web servers in effect to protect websites against WordPress attacks. To be more specific, requests matching the two URL paths below are rate-limited to a maximum number of requests per visitor\client IP address in a period of time:

/*wp-login.php
/*xmlrpc.php

These two patterns only match requests received to wp-login.php and xmlrpc.php filenames (with or without a folder name). Since these rules are configured per client IP, each visitor to either of these URLs is treated uniquely. Visitor A exceeding the request rate limit for /wp-login.php wouldn't impact Visitor B, for example.

Unfortunately WordPress websites are frequently targeted by attacks by automated scripts and bots, and many times website owners aren't aware this is happening. Layers of protections such as this help reduce the number of compromised websites quite a bit behind the scenes.

That all said, the reports of these problems in the thread appear to be concentrated on the same server. I've taken a look over the rate limit rules there to ensure things are OK and they seem to be, as far as the configuration goes. I've enabled a bit of debug logging on requests hitting the rate limit rules as well. If you see an HTTP 429 error and you're not making dozens of requests to either of these two files, please bump the thread and let me know the URL path that hit the limit (it's okay to just share just the URL if you want to keep your domain private).

lylex10h

Reaction score
There are a couple of rate limit rules on our web servers in effect to protect websites against WordPress attacks. To be more specific, requests matching the two URL paths below are rate-limited to a maximum number of requests per visitor\client IP address in a period of time:

/*wp-login.php
/*xmlrpc.php
Is this why /wp-login.php takes awhile to load when using Cloudflare?

Also WordPress users (on x10) should read this https://x10hosting.com/blog/wordpress-security/

nmcarpet

Reaction score
Bryon, I posted this back on Tuesday:
Too Many Requests
The requested URL has reached its request limit.

Please wait a moment before trying your request again.

ReqID: 81685053680322429 • IP: 76.127.47.254 Security by Cachewall

My site was plain html, with no php, ssi, or cgi, just plain html and css; the error is appearing without any cause that makes sense, I was also getting this error page:

Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours
You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 2 times

I'm not using cgi or cron jobs, my main site is plain html/css the other site use joomla and has NO real content.

muslimdo

Reaction score
I have been getting this error for the past 3 weeks now when ever i try to login to ..../wp-login.php

I have been unable to login all that time thinking it was probably a bot attack and would settle down.

However it has continued and as many other users are also getting this then i assume that it is unusual that we are all are being targeted by bots... rather it is more plausable to be a server side issue...

kindly look into this... Much appreciated.

edit
p.s.
i'm on x07.
I have tried several from several different IP's and same response each time. It is not the linked to a single IP address.

Varnish configuration - this has previously been an issue for someone else on the server side could we try relaxing it to see if it resolves the issue

Last edited:

muslimdo

Reaction score
i have managed to get it working
renamed plugins directory ....worked on one site but not the other. i then renamed it back and updated everything and seems work ok on the first site.

for the second website... i renamed plugin directory and then also I change the .htcaccess file so it looked similar to the first website and that did the trick.

Last edited:

epicure2

Reaction score
Still getting too many of these errors...nothing has changed from what I can tell.

Too Many Requests

ReqID: 66526954305124808

fekete

Reaction score
No, that is the problem. That doesn't mean that slowness on the server isn't a big part of it, just that the browser is making too many requests (that is, there are things not yet finished and returned before a new request is made). All current (desktop/notebook) browsers exhibit the same behaviour; a five-year-old browser would have made different assumptions about the network and server.
Well I don't want to jinx the system but the problem seems to have been resolved on X03. It would be nice to know what was done to fix the resource constraint on the server, making it easier to resolve the issue should it resurface. Bloated browser was a good attempt to divert from the "real issue" system admins I am sure know full well.
At least you took the time to provide a response while someone actually resolved the problem without documenting the resolution. Documentation is often harder than fixing the little problems that come our way. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and
thanks to whoever anonymously resolved the problem. Crossing my fingers as I post this reply, in hopes that the problem will remain a thing of the past.

longbich

Reaction score
An interesting challenge. Congratulations on your endurance and patience fekete.

epicure2

Reaction score
Sadly, I cannot say the same for x04. I logged into cPanel to see that the my site's resource usage complaints were gone, so I logged into wp-admin, started to update a plugin, and before I knew it..."too many requests" again. :(

Too Many Requests

ReqID: 66526960993047335

Status
Not open for further replies.