Unable to add custom favicon to site

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by hellbeeg, May 12, 2016.

1. hellbeeg

hellbeeg New Member

Hi there, I've been trying to add a custom favicon to my site to no avail. I've added the code to my HTML file, and added the favicon to the public_html file, but it's still not showing up.

2. essellar

essellar Community Advocate Community Support

I'm seeing it. Browsers treat favicons as about the "stickiest" things imaginable. If they think they've got an icon for the site already, even if it's just the default not-an-icon icon you get when manually creating a bookmark, it'll be an awfully long time before they look for a replacement. You'll have to completely clear your site from your browser's history (and clear any bookmarks as well), restart your browser so that it doesn't remember your site from the current in-memory information, then visit your site again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bdistler

bdistler Well-Known Member Prime Account

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ken.gervais89

ken.gervais89 Member

Both esseller and bdistler gave you good options, but for me at least, I've gone the lazy way whenever if change my favicon. When I would load the page to check the new one, the old one would still show. So I gave CTRL-F5 option a try and my favicon change showed up immediately. Now whenever I make favicon (or any other change) that doesn't readily show up when I load the page, I use CTRL-F5.

A normal F5 will simply reload whatever your browser currently has in its cache, while CTRL-F5 will clear the cache and then load the page. It works for me, and should work for everyone. If it doesn't feel free to blame Microsoft, because I am just a messenger of sorts. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1