Unable to delete files in www & public_html folder through cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickramperumal

Reaction score
I am having a free hosting plan. I installed Joomla recently from cPanel. Then i uninstalled it so as to facilitate my new domain change and reinstall on my new domain. But unfortunately i am unable to delete all files in the www & public_html folder. I tried with file manager and legacy file manager with no help. Please help me to remove all files from the same so i need to reinstall joomla 1.5

thanks in advance

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you getting any error message? Try using FTP to delete.

mattblog

Reaction score
Did you install joomla from the fantastico service? ...because if you did you have to uninstall it there. Go to Fantastico script installer, go to Joomla 1.5 and under current versions (or something relevant) click uninstall. if you dont do this you will never be able to install anything from fantastico again until you delete a data file. therefore if you want to reinstall it you must not delete the folders by ftp. If you already ran into the error that you cant install it, go to search in cpanel and search for .fantasticodata, after that delete the installed_in_root.php folder and it will all be good.

Hahah, techairlines we posted almost the exact same time

Last edited:

kadai

Reaction score
Well, sometimes some installations from the Fantastico can't be fully uninstalled due permissions.

For example, I have got at least two cases where a Drupal uninstallation failed to got deleted using Fantastico.

My solution:
Log-in on CPanel and then use the "File Manager"
Once there, head to where you have the files you want to delete and set to each one of it the permission 777 (then might have permissions like 14xx or 555, what causes problems)
Once everything is set to 777 or 755, you can then delete the files.

Trying to change permission of those files though FTP usually fails, that is why CPanel File Manager method is a good way to deal with those files.

Of course, be sure to have the files deleted refreshing and revisiting the folders where the files used to be.

Good luck.

mattblog

Reaction score
yes but couldn`t this also be fixed by deleting the data file installed in root, i believe. Only when uninstalling by the way.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
By what im getting out of the op's post he has already uninstalled it via fansastico but it has left some folders behind. (This just happened to me today) The solution i have is to just go to the public_html folder and select all the folders and change their permissions to 777 or 755 and then delete them. Fantastico has already deleted the filelist.txt and thinks its deleted the files as well but it hasn't.
I hope this helps,

Wiivsps3

Status
Not open for further replies.