Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've been here for a while you know x10 is constantly evolving, we're not one of those hosts that sets up and stays the same for years and let's things run on auto pilot. With that said we have some more changes coming soon...

Forums
If you've been following the news you know we're changing the support \ rep system. I hope to have the new forum modifications in by the end of this week. This will include the new support system, new rep system, new user groups, and some extra forum activities. Worst case we'll have to push the support integration back a bit but the rest should be in on time. Earning credits will also be modified by these changes. Again, if you have suggestions for the forums now is the time to get them in.

Backend Systems
In the coming weeks we'll hopefully be able to implement our new file scanners to detect warez, nulled scripts, and phishing much more efficiently. These new scanners are using some of the same technology that facebook uses (yay for open source). This means abuse should drastically decrease allowing us to raise everyone's diskspace allotments.

We are also going to attempt remote MySQL again, we tried this once before 2 years ago and it didn't go too well. Since then technology has made some major innovations in the remote services area due to the cloud computing frenzy. We've been researching this for a few months and we're confident we'll be able to get a working implementation of this. To start we will only be doing this on a single server for testing purposes, so thank you in advance for your patience while we break stuff :). Expect a news post either today or tomorrow regarding more info on this and what we're doing.

The new account panel is still under development, the new version will address many issues that have been brought up in the feedback section. We think everyone will be very happy with it.

Specials
We will be extending the paid hosting\VPS specials for a bit longer. We're still planning on sending out a newsletter with the info, once the newsletter is sent they will end a week from there.

We will also be discontinuing the double all packages shortly, these were meant to be a special and not a standard option. If you've been thinking about getting one of these upgrades but haven't now is the time to get one before they're gone!

I'm sure there is some stuff I left out but that covers most of it, it's been a while since I gave an update thread of everything we're doing.

Any questions?

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow! That sounds brilliant. Just about these changes generally...I assume this will cause downtime-just how much are we to expect? I'll need to warn users if it will be quite long. Also, will any of these changes affect my site? Should I make a backup of databases and files?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

stpvoice.

Well done x10. Excellent hosting all-round XD

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Separate news posts will be made regarding anything for downtime, etc... I believe we're going to start the MySQL change on Starka, this will cause MySQL to go down for a short period of time. The rest of the items listed shouldn't cause any downtime though.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Uhm, just wondering if the arcade being reset was intended ?

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Well gives me a chance to be at the top again I suppose :) (for a couple of days, till Palito comes around).

Also just another thing Corey, my user group seems to keep changing between a standard user/member and retired ? As retired I have no xp or a negative xp maybe and as a user/member it doesn't seem to increment my misc. xp when I dominated the arcade again :(
Edit:
Ok, seems to be fixed now :) Thank you very much :) I did notice that there seem to be a few groups for retired staff :s Unless its just custome user title's ?

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well I see a new theme has stated to come into play :) It looks nice.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
The new theme is nice, however, I feel the text is smaller than the preceding one.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
MySQL is one of the easier abused things because it's harder for us to calculate abuse on them... so add in a bunch of servers having their own MySQL makes it a huge pain for us. By centralizing it we will be able to better control abuse, keep it optimized, and it will also take 10-15% load off of each free server.

With the new technologies out there we will be able to set this up so everyone will continue to use localhost, the requests will automatically be forwarded in the backend over an internal network connection between the servers.

-Corey

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
so basically what your trying to get rid of is abuses that decrese the servers performence. but i do have a question though. when you said that your gonna increase space do u mean ur gonna do this for all the free hosting or jus for paid hosting as that will make us happier to give thanks

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
MySQL is one of the easier abused things because it's harder for us to calculate abuse on them... so add in a bunch of servers having their own MySQL makes it a huge pain for us. By centralizing it we will be able to better control abuse, keep it optimized, and it will also take 10-15% load off of each free server.

With the new technologies out there we will be able to set this up so everyone will continue to use localhost, the requests will automatically be forwarded in the backend over an internal network connection between the servers.

-Corey

I hope this doesn't become the mess that it was last year when we last tried this. That was bad lol. I'll keep looking forward to this though!

xav0989

Community Support
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't become the mess that it was last year when we last tried this. That was bad lol. I'll keep looking forward to this though!
I hope with you, because the on/off all the time was not the most pleasant experience!:biggrin:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Everyone's mysql server would change then? No more "localhost" ?

xav0989

Community Support
Reaction score
Everyone's mysql server would change then? No more "localhost" ?
No, they'll use a sort of host file to redirect localhost on port 3306 to the MySQL server (can't find the post where corey talks about it)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
No, they'll use a sort of host file to redirect localhost on port 3306 to the MySQL server (can't find the post where corey talks about it)

Ah, very good. That will save a lot of trouble :p

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Corey said:
We are also going to attempt remote MySQL again, we tried this once before 2 years ago and it didn't go too well. Since then technology has made some major innovations in the remote services area due to the cloud computing frenzy.
It was the first post in this thread and then -> http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/101307-upcoming-changes-2.html#post575735 there was where he mentioned that localhost will stay the same.

da_bizkit

Reaction score
I know this is not the right place to ask, but i don't want to start new thread about this. Is the server already fixed, cause every time i try to access my site the browser just tries to download my .php link instead of loading the site :/ It wasn't like that before.... was working perfectly. Again sorry if i post in the wrong topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.