Update 6/22/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We're continuing to test and implement software on the free hosting servers which may cause slowness or downtime. Some people are wondering why we're doing this and I'd like to explain.

I'm sure most of you have looked around at the competition and have found that very few have been around for 5 years and offer cPanel + all the features we offer. We are not a cookie cutter site running on a pre-made script. Almost everything we use is made from the ground up in either PHP or Python. A lot of work and testing goes into each script we put live as it's used by tens of thousands of people. We have to be sure everything is secure and will work properly when implemented into the free hosting environment. On top of this we have to modify and tweak systems that are out of our control such as cPanel and Apache to work with the amount of accounts we support.

Right now we're planning for long term growth and testing many different combinations of configurations. We need to get the perfect one figured out now so we do not have to mess with this stuff later on. Currently it takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to compile Apache a single time on the free servers so I'm sure you can see why it takes so long for these tests. We generally need at least 24 hours of data for each combination we try and sometimes the compile fails all together for unknown reasons (thanks cPanel).

With that said, we are all working very hard to get a winning combination and proceed with our normal service levels while still developing updates and new systems to improve our offerings.

Regarding other things:
PHP mail will most likely be re-enabled tomorrow. Not a guarantee though.

Support is backed up a ridiculous amount, no matter what we do we can't force people to read the news so we literally have hundreds of tickets asking questions that have already been answered or saying "mi srvr dwn plz fixx". I have no idea when we're going to get caught up, so my apologies for the people that have to wait with real issues because of the thousands of others who can't spend 2 minutes to read.

I'd also like to remind people that you are not allowed to have more than 1 cron run every 5 minutes. I have started suspending people that are breaking this rule. We will also be implementing a new server resource monitor in the next few days to suspend people that use more than their fair share of resources.

Discuss here:
http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/98837-latest-update-news-thread-response-6-22-09-a.html

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
PHP Mail has been re-enabled.

If you get suspended for high resource usage you can unsuspend yourself two times in the account panel. Upon the third time you must submit a ticket. Some things that cause high resource usage are:
* Excessive amount of modules for blogs\forums
* Shoutboxes
* Any type of bot
* Chat servers

Status
Not open for further replies.