Update and need some help

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, yesterday around 6PM I received a takedown notice from our DC about a phishing site. Like normal I complied and removed the site within an hour of receiving the notice. These notices come with a 6 hour time frame to take action before they disconnect the server. Removing the site and E-mailing them I figured everything was okay. Around 1AM last night while I was sleeping they disconnected the server.

LT failed to even check if the site was removed or call me before they did this. I woke up to an E-mail from them from 1AM saying they disconnected the server.

This action is unacceptable and I will start looking into moving to a new DC that puts their customers first.

What I need from you is to help me research the difference in performance between dual core processors versus dual CPU like a dual xeon. Is a dual core 2.8 Ghz better than a Dual Xeon 2.8? I need to figure this out before pricing out servers from other companies.

-Corey

Trixter

Reaction score
I can't find any reference off hand. But a 2.2GHz Opteron is about the same as a 3.0GHZ Xeon because of the architectural differences. Operton has its
memory and L2 cache right 'on the processor' whereas Xeon has some overhead
with its southbridge/northbridge etc.

Id say the Opteron was a better choice. But im a AMD freak :p
go here to find out more. ( Really Cool Site but you need to have a fast connection) to see the results of the amd xeon dual core duel go here

Last edited:

__z|x__

Reaction score
Corey said:
Well, yesterday around 6PM I received a takedown notice from our DC about a phishing site. Like normal I complied and removed the site within an hour of receiving the notice. These notices come with a 6 hour time frame to take action before they disconnect the server. Removing the site and E-mailing them I figured everything was okay. Around 1AM last night while I was sleeping they disconnected the server.

LT failed to even check if the site was removed or call me before they did this. I woke up to an E-mail from them from 1AM saying they disconnected the server.

This action is unacceptable and I will start looking into moving to a new DC that puts their customers first.

What I need from you is to help me research the difference in performance between dual core processors versus dual CPU like a dual xeon. Is a dual core 2.8 Ghz better than a Dual Xeon 2.8? I need to figure this out before pricing out servers from other companies.

-Corey
Could you pls ask them to start the server till you find a new DC?

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Yes the server has been reconnected, right now though it is locked up. I've submitted a reboot ticket at the DC though.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
What I reccomend is a dual- dual-core optron, as those are powerful...ill do a little research in a bit on some places you can buy from.

jaygreentree

Reaction score
godaddy offers great cpanel servers. I have been pricing them lately because I am thinking of getting my own in the near future for my company.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
jaygreentree said:
godaddy offers great cpanel servers. I have been pricing them lately because I am thinking of getting my own in the near future for my company.

Accually there servers are a bit overpriced and slow...the fasted is a p4 3.0 HT, id look into somewere else...but thats me

DizzyTechnology

Reaction score
Man, that's terrible...

I'm not sure what you should choose.

On a related note, will this entail another weeklong move, as from early and late summer? 'Cause then I'll make a backup.

Cubeform

Reaction score
The new Intel Core-based "Woodcrest" Xeons. They're great.
If you want a dual dual-core solution, the "Clovertown"s are coming soon.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Xeon is better for servers right now. But if you want to wait till 2007 you can get a Quad-Core from Intel. :) (2-Core 2's together) ;)

I would recomend a Xeon from a Opteron as the new Xeon is based on the Core 2 ways...so its faster. Corey if you nead more help feal free to IM me.

jaygreentree

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
Xeon is better for servers right now. But if you want to wait till 2007 you can get a Quad-Core from Intel. :) (2-Core 2's together) ;)

I would recomend a Xeon from a Opteron as the new Xeon is based on the Core 2 ways...so its faster. Corey if you nead more help feal free to IM me.
He plans on getting a new server in November if we reach the goal for this month.