• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Forced Ads or User Placed

Please vote in the poll, would you rather x10 force ads so you don't have to put code in or would you rather beable to put the code in yourself? This has been an ongoing problem with people saying 'I can't figure it out'.

-Corey

ak007

Reaction score
Re: Forced Ads or User Placed

ME == Placed Ads By Ourself

theblazingangel

Prime Account
Reaction score
Re: Forced Ads or User Placed

poll...i dont see one, mychoice = user placed

the main reason i want to move from geocities is because of there forced ads. they throw up loads of errors when validating my xhtml which i hate because of all the effort i put into it. they also have a mind of there own and sometimes jump to the top of the page and force everything beneath it. i also hate not being in total control over my site.

i can understand that it would make things a little easier, but id really prefer a small FAQ & example sticky to show people just exactly what to do.

M

minievan

Voted- Forced. :)Forced is better because then you wont get people moaning!
Ps. Corey Please can you answer my Pms.

--Evan

swirly

Reaction score
wat about people can place codes them if they no how and u can force them or watever if they dont?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
TheBlazingAngel :

People try to play the ads into so many different scripts and CMSs that it would take a long time to make tutorials for each one to show how to put ads in....

Swirly:

No clue what you just said.

-Corey

knoxoqe

Reaction score
Corey said:
TheBlazingAngel :

People try to play the ads into so many different scripts and CMSs that it would take a long time to make tutorials for each one to show how to put ads in....

It would take a long time but it's not like impossible! Users post their problem and everyone tries to help them. I know it happens a lot but some people just need a little help, and that's why this hosting has the best assistance in the world: it has people that not only help, but know how to help.

I vote for "Placed Ads By Ourself".

n4tec

Reaction score
I have voted For User Placed Ads. It does not take that long to place them according to me but the way they are placed only varies according to CMS like in regards to x10 corporate for phpbb you place the ads code in the overall_header.tpl file, smf it is placed in an iframe as far as i can recall e.t.c ..

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I Think forced, But still you would be able to pay to take them off or in the shop lower the prices to take them off if there forced :)

XUnreal

Reaction score
Omg what are you thinking? It would look better user-placed so then you can put ads in to fit into the template you have now or in a forum. Rather that having that stuck at the top.

XUnreal

Reaction score
swirly said:
wat about people can place codes them if they no how and u can force them or watever if they dont?

Lol sorry for double posting, conversion below:
What about the people who can place the ad codes in themselves, if they know how to but if they dont know how to place the code in, force them.

Like using another selection in the signup process like 2 checkboxes:
Pick advertising type:
Forced or User-placed

knoxoqe

Reaction score
XUnreal said:
swirly said:

Lol sorry for double posting, conversion below:
What about the people who can place the ad codes in themselves, if they know how to but if they dont know how to place the code in, force them.

Like using another selection in the signup process like 2 checkboxes:
Pick advertising type:
Forced or User-placed

I agree. People that aren't capable of putting up advertising themselves (even with help from the forums) should be able to change their account type to forced ads.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
you should either do one of three things...

1) make forced ads for everyone (i dont really like this idea).

2) make it so that you can choose when you register your account for forced ads or user-placed ads.

3) make it so they they are all user-placed and then have some staff to help place those ads for those who dont know how or need help.

i think most people like idea 2, but if you added idea 2 and 3 together it would help out alot for everyone.

my oinion ...

mattspec

Reaction score
idk i think that people are just having a tough time with the x10 code, so long as the ads work i dont see a reason why it shouldnt be allowed, but anyhow, useplaced ads always will look better, that gets my vote

somebody123

Reaction score
I think that users should have the option to opt-out of forced ads, on the provision that they put the X10 ad code into their pages manually. That way people currently with ads on their pages don't get "punished" as such for others who don't obey the rules.

crazyboy168

Reaction score
I go for user place ads because if you have force ads you cannot install a php scripts that you want. It will show u a blank page and the ads only.

elserge82

Reaction score
User placed ads that's my vote
We have the most free proffessional webhost I've ever seen making Forced ads will kill it.
With no offense people that can't place ads in their sites don't deserve a corporate plan
At first I thought same as DarkD45

DarkD45 said:
2) make it so that you can choose when you register your account for forced ads or user-placed ads.

but that option might be more work to Corey
Maybe creating a new plan that comes bitween static and advanced with a forced ads will make it much easier and more practical.donno it's just a suggestion
One thing I know is that I hate forced ads it makes the site loses it's original design

eclipse

Reaction score
I think the ads should be forced. Sometimes the software can be a pain to get the ads to work. There are some software programs such as MediaWiki where it can be really difficult to get ad codes to work. I've even had my site logo disappear because I placed the ads on my MediaWiki site I'm trying to make.

clareto

Reaction score
I've solved the problem of putting the ads script in all my pages by doing a "x10ads.php" file. That file contains only the script, and when I want to put the ad script, all I have to do is to put a sigle include 'x10ads.php'.

I'm not a linux / php expert, but i know there's a include folder which is reachable by every user. If php is configured to process *.htm* and *.php* pages, and there's a file that all of us can include, we have not to deal with all the javascript code. All we have to put is something like

PHP:
include 'x10ads.php'
<?php include 'x10ads.php'?>
<? include 'x10ads'?>
I think it would reduce the "placing ads tutorial" to a single line...
<? include 'x10ads'?>
PHP:
include 'x10ads.php'

I've voted 4 user placed.

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
One big thing against forced placed ads is with php scripts. I don't know about others, but with a lot my scripts I use header() a lot. If anything is outputted before header is called, an error is triggered and the cookies/HTTP headers are not set/sent, which is a pain. (There are ways around this, with ob_start() and all, but that can be another problem.. ) I would think that the forced ads would be considered output. (I'm not 100% sure how the ads would be forced. If it would use auto_prepend_file in php.ini, then I'm not sure if that would be considered output.. Hmm)

Anyways, I voted for the "User Placed Ads" option. I still have the script that I started on the development account to check accounts for the ads. I can finish it easily, that is not problem. With that then, if ads are "put in" by users, account's can still be easily checked for ads. With the recent server cleanup that task becomes even easier.

Also like others have said if the option is picked for members to place their own ads, the problem comes up about members not knowing how to place their ads. I think this could be overcome with a "new" forum being created under the Support forum dedicated to helping members with *just* that. After a few weeks, I think there would be enough people's problems already taken care of in that forum, that other members could search the forum for older threads to help them out. (With placing their ads)

Well, those are my ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.