[video]scripting in perl using vistas voice recognition

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I saw this ages ago. I still have yet to try Vista's Voice Recognition even though I have seriously been running Vista for close to a year and a half now.

Jordan C

Reaction score
I tried it once (before I went to XP, and then Mac) it wasn't very good, although none of them are.

I'm still waiting to see one that works perfect without hours of training.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I used Speech Recognition with my friend's pink (!) karaoke microphone, and it worked better after training, but because it was designed for the English accent, it didn't perform as well as it could with my Kiwi accent.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I saw this ages ago. I still have yet to try Vista's Voice Recognition even though I have seriously been running Vista for close to a year and a half now.

I just felt like a prat talking to my computer.

Dan

Reaction score
Now that is just funny! :)
To think I was going to setup speech recognition.
If that is what is going to happen, I really can't be bothered...
I'll stick with good ol' keyboard and mouse and tablet. :)

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're dictating in a normal voice and it's all trained, it works fine for me. It doesn't work so well if there's a loud washing machine going a couple of metres away. And if you want to talk to someone you have to either click the Mic button, or say something like "Stop Listening". Amazing stuff, but sometimes a little impractical. It's a lifesaver when your keyboard is covered in paperwork!

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
If you're dictating in a normal voice and it's all trained, it works fine for me. It doesn't work so well if there's a loud washing machine going a couple of metres away. And if you want to talk to someone you have to either click the Mic button, or say something like "Stop Listening". Amazing stuff, but sometimes a little impractical. It's a lifesaver when your keyboard is covered in paperwork!

It's useful as well when you have a screwed up keyboard. My 11 year old laptop has a keyboard that doesn't type all that good anymore (some days it does though! Atmosphere related) and I could sure use voice recognition software to type stuff for me on it.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
...or a USB keyboard! (Except for the whole mobility thing, though)

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
...or a USB keyboard! (Except for the whole mobility thing, though)

I would if I could, but it's a pain of having to carry around my USB port extender since the laptop only has one USB port. I seriously need to get a new one lol.