VPS .htaccess files not transferring.

c740015

Reaction score
Hi...For some reason all the .htaccess files i transfer to the VPS on FTP do not seem to be going over.As if there deleted as soon as there transferred.Is there an option that needs to be set so that we can allow the .htaccess files to be put into the vps files???

EDIT:
I navigated to filemanager in webmin and the .htacess files are displaying in there.
But for some reason they are not displaying in FileZilla. Whats the problem with that...
How would I correct this

Sorry this issue has been solved I clicked on force to show hidden files and they was there..

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Is there some kind of setting in FileZilla to display / hide hidden files?

c740015

Reaction score
Yes your right.. But on other hosts this isnt needed.. So I was confused.. Lol.. Thanks

I do however have loads of problems with file permissions.....
I am running a forum with SMF software.. It keeps saying the permissions are wrong and not writable..

I know its a hazard to have all at 777.. What is the required folder permissions I keep getting errors all over the show for folder permission..

I have even set some as 777 for zen gallery as it says on there website. But still Its giving me loads of error.
I never had this problem b4.. Is something different on a vps with folder permissions than shared hosting?

Every single file and folder in the zen gallery is set to 777 and still I have a permission error on all the folders?
albums folder [permissions failure]
zp-data folder [permissions failure]

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I have several forums running, including one SMF, and I know that I had to make some folders 777 in order to get some things to work without errors, but the folders that needed 777 seemed to be in places where a hacker could not do much, (if any), harm. I am not comfortable advising anybody to do likewise, but that was a solution for me. Not familiar with Zen Gallery but I would guess that it going to have some of the same requirements.

A lot of things are pre-configured and automatically configured on managed / shared hosting. Now that you have your own VPS that luxury is gone <G>.

c740015

Reaction score
O.k. Another Problem.. I had a few SUB DOMAINS... How would i create these on the VPS.... Because I need them for the gallery and many other things that are attached to the forum.

Thanks very much for your reply's its helping me alot ... Lets say I'm almost done... I think I will move everything over today :)

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
If I remember correctly from your previous posts, you are using Webmin / Virtualmin. Simply create a new Top Level Server, (NOT sub server), named subdomain.yourdomain.com .

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Hi,

There are a couple of ways to solve the file permissions problems. (I'm guessing the problems you are having are being caused by the file ownership. The user Apache runs as is different to the user you are user to upload/edit files.)
The way I use to get round this is by using mod_suphp (Google SuPHP) instead of mod_php. Mod_SuPHP runs the PHP scripts as a user that you specify (Usually your personal account) this not only reduces file permission problems but also increases security. It can however be a bit tricky to get set up.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
@TechAsh - Giving great advise and suggestions as always.
(I'm guessing the problems you are having are being caused by the file ownership. The user Apache runs as is different to the user you are user to upload/edit files.)
Perhaps I am missing your point, but isn't the entire issue of file ownership solved by simply logging in and uploading / editing files as root? But I don't use FTP. I always work with files directly through Webmin file manager after logging in as root. Never had any permission issues with that method. Alway interested in learning and listening to different viewpoints.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I try not to use the root account whenever possible. Maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't know. :p