Votes: 2 12.5%
  • yes other explain in post

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgkprog

Reaction score
would you like java on x10? i would . at least jsp (like a php page gets compiled) if not EJBs (server objects).

Tomcat is a free apache add on that can supports it. i would gladly pay $35 a yaer for it (seperate from basic plan) and maybe a free account that allows only one database connection and a limit on the war application size ?
Edit:
can this be moved to the suggestions forum - i just noticed that :) geenreally scroll down as soon as i log in

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Is it really worth the trouble? PHP to my knowledge can do everything JSP can do, I don't really see why you'd need JSP.

If it's free though, can't really argue.

Dan

Reaction score
I think it's good idea. I though Java was free though??

tgkprog

Reaction score
java is free but not all application servers are free. but tomcat is free. java is a language. an application server uses java ... x10 is free but not all sites hosted by x10 are free to use ...

anyway there are something that jsp can do - that is use the rich library of java - like image manipulations , text handling, threads (like a long task in the background) ... there might be ways to do it PHP + c but java is easier than c and a better library.

anyway VOTE everybody and lets hope Correy gives us some space on the dev server

wolf693

Reaction score
I am not much of a Java user but yes I have to admit, having Java on X10 would be nice for any applications I wish to run. I would pay any reasonable price to use it!

XainFaith

Reaction score
I would not mind seeing java on x10 however its not to likly i would be using it php is very powerful when used conrectly and i like my C and lagauges of such.

it would be good to have it as an affordable option because granted some apps might be easyer to do in java.

And yes i do agree with the previous post should there not be a No in the poll this gives mean to only seeing the secect group of pepole who do want it and not the group as a whole.

Regards XainFaith

conceptye

Reaction score
PHP does everything java does so I don't need it. But I suppose it would be nice if x10 offered it, even at a small charge.

tgkprog

Reaction score
it would be a complete poll if there was a no but this thread was about convincing Coery to add Java - so my hope was that with a poll with enough positive replies he will.

also it would be an add on - everything else would be as is - so not really interested in the nays

tgkprog

Reaction score
Corey : What do you think ?

Corey : What do you think - about adding Tomcat on an exisitng server as a test - can be used on payment of $35 a year ... what do you think of the idea of java on x10 as a whole?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
java is free but not all application servers are free. but tomcat is free. java is a language. an application server uses java ... x10 is free but not all sites hosted by x10 are free to use ...

anyway there are something that jsp can do - that is use the rich library of java - like image manipulations , text handling, threads (like a long task in the background) ... there might be ways to do it PHP + c but java is easier than c and a better library.

anyway VOTE everybody and lets hope Correy gives us some space on the dev server

Wouldn't that be this: http://us2.php.net/pcntl ?

davearonson

Reaction score
It's one of the many things I'm intending to use x10 to learn, one of these years. But, the urge isn't so strong that I'd pay for it. Yes, I'm a cheap@$$; isn't that why most of us freeloaders are here? :biggrin:

tgkprog

Reaction score
brandon
http://us2.php.net/pcntl is not threads

its starting another process/ executable

a thread is a sub process - a background task . like a browser uses them to show u many tabs or the page load progress refreshed and u can us the gui - cause of threads

in a web appllication a user can start a long process ... the web page shows its status .... it works in the back as part of same java program - same code ....

anyway java is nicer in many ways

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I personally don't need Java since I can do it in PHP,
but it could look good on my resume...if I learn it

Status
Not open for further replies.