Website Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rednoise

Reaction score
Well, I just got off an online chat with Comcast about the blockage. The guy was clueless. I don't think he understood anything I was saying. He ended up scheduling a home visit by a tech in two days, which of course would be a waste of everybody's time. Meanwhile, I still can't get to my x10host site or my control panel.

A traceroute clearly shows that it's not my local problem, that the connection stops at their node a few towns away from here.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm calling Comcast again now.

rednoise

Reaction score
Can anyone using Comcast reach their site on Vox yet? A reply here said it would be fixed in 2-4 hours, and that reply was posted a little over 4 hours ago and I still can't reach my site.
No, I still can't reach it - see my post above.
How widespread is this problem? I'm in eastern Massachusetts. Whereabouts are you?

robloxd7

Reaction score
I am having this issue in New Mexico. I contacted Comcast myself, and they had no idea what I was talking about, and wanted me to fill out some multi-step paperwork and I just said screw it... I hope this gets fixed soon, this is really annoying.

mychecke

Reaction score
Using Comcast here and 198.91.81.4 still blocked. Tech support told me its my router or firewall. :lol: I know its not. I can visit vox hosted sites through hide my ass.

compnexu

Reaction score
Ok so i called Comcast Customer Security (888-565-4329) They said that there are phishing sites being hosted on that server and that X10 hosting will need to call them and communicate with them to get the block removed.

pph

Reaction score
8:58 PM EST and 198.91.81.4 is still blocked by Comcast.

My office has two ISP's (originally had just a slow T1, then added Comcast Business). When the firewall is set to use the Comcast WAN first, it's no go to reach 198.91.81.4 When the firewall is set to use the the T1 ISP WAN first, it's all rainbows and unicorns.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
01:30 2014-02-22 UTC

back on the phone right now with Comcast's Customer Security Assurance Department

Comcast now says they will NOT remove the block until x10hosting removes the domain that was doing the "fishing" (phishing)
they also said that they (Comcast) sent a notice to the "Abuse Contact" for that domain

It is now up to x10hosting (staff) to contact Comcast - to get the phishing domain

Call Comcast's "Customer Security Assurance Department" --> 24 hours, 7 days a week - at --> [ 888-565-4329 ]

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in contact with comcast and have taken actions to get them to remove the block. This should be resolved within a couple of hours.

pph

Reaction score
So if I'm using the free hosting and have the domain "abc123.x10.mx", I should setup the email and create a mailbox for abuse@abc123.x10.mx. Just so Comcast can tell me that they think I'm phishing?

And how many abusers check (or even setup) an "abuse@..." account?

Not that I'm an abuser. I just find it odd that that Comcast would expect such scum to to say, "okay... you caught me. I promise to stop."

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
No -- They should have reported the phishing to the host. Namely, they should have emailed abuse@x10hosting.com. But they didn't. I had to manually call them as a representative of x10 and get the info from them.

Reactions: pph

bobdavcav98

Reaction score
That's good to hear, I've been trying to post another aircheck to my site all day. I just hope this gets fixed before about 9 Pacific time as that's about when I get ready for bed and I'm going out of town tomorrow.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
So if I'm using the free hosting and have the domain "abc123.x10.mx", I should setup the email and create a mailbox for abuse@abc123.x10.mx. Just so Comcast can tell me that they think I'm phishing?

in short - no
###
When you register a domain one thing (item) you need to enter is a contact Email address - anyone can see it by doing a "whois" look-up for that domain
Comcast sent a notice to the 'contact Email address' for the domain that was "phishing"

if the domain of the free-hosting account doing the "phishing" was not a sub of a x10hosting's domain - someone using their own domain - x10hosting would not receive notice from Comcast - and not all of x10hosting's free-hosting domains have a good contact Email address - so x10hosting would not receive a notice from Comcast for them

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
in short - no
###
When you register a domain one thing (item) you need to enter is a contact Email address - anyone can see it by doing a "whois" look-up for that domain
Comcast sent a notice to the 'contact Email address' for the domain that was "phishing"

if the domain of the free-hosting account doing the "phishing" was not a sub of a x10hosting's domain - someone using their own domain - x10hosting would not receive notice from Comcast - and not all of x10hosting's free-hosting domains have a good contact Email address - so x10hosting would not receive a notice from Comcast for them

Which sucks because had they emailed us, we would have had it offline within 12 hours, if not within one :-(

Edit: Comcast could've also emailed us since it's our IP; if they had looked, our contact email is there to.

Also apparently part of my first attempt at replying was here, removed that to prevent confusion.

Last edited:

bobdavcav98

Reaction score
It's coming up on 10:00 Pacific. Yes, I know I said I started heading for bed about 9 but oh well. Anyway still not up. I guess I'll be making my post when I get back on Sunday night or Monday.

rednoise

Reaction score
My site and control panel are now accessible again as of about 1:45 AM on Saturday. Thanks to everyone for the sanity check and moral support, and to whoever managed to push the right button at Comcast.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome. Glad you're able to get back in.

robloxd7

Reaction score
I am back in as-well, as of about 5ish min ago. Thank you for getting this solved with Comcast, I hope this doesn't happen again... or at least not very often!

drunkie

Reaction score
i'm back on now also. seems they finally fixed it. just one more reason to hate comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.