Website name not coming up on google

scootacar

Reaction score
I have created a website.

scootacar.x10hosting.com/index.html

I have domain name scootacar.org.uk which forwards to the above.

However when you google 'scootacar register' the website will appear but it doesn't show the Scootacar.org.uk domain address as I would like.

It shows the above.

What can I do to change this so the scootacar.org.uk appears in the search?

Help and feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that you have changed the main domain of your account to: scootacar.org.uk, which means that the scootacar.x10hosting.com domain no longer is valid.

Given the current settings what you need to do is go to your domain registrar and configure the domain to use our name servers; ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com (optionally you can point it with an A record, but it is not recommended).

scootacar

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

I have changed it back to the original settings and now when I type scootacar.org.uk the website doesn't pop up, however you can still get to it from google search.

Thanks

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing as you want it to come up with the scootacar.org.uk address, you'd need to have it as main domain, or parked domain in cPanel, with the .x10hosting.com domain doing a .htaccess redirect to the scootacar.org.uk address (if you want to have both and set the domain as parked).

A forwarding url, no matter how it is configured, will never be the domain that shows up for the content in a search, as essentially that domain would not hold any content at all, just a silent redirect to the domain with the content.

With the domain as parked, without redirects in .htaccess, both addresses would show up in a search, but that could give you penalty point by the search engine for duplicate pages.

Last edited:

scootacar

Reaction score
Thanks - how do do the .htaccess piece + I can't do anything other than change the main domain.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, you need to configure the domain at your domain registrar.
We recommend setting it to use our name servers:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Once that is done there's a propagation period until the domain is viewable in the browser, this takes anywhere from a couple hours up to, in extreme cases, 72 hours.

Do you want both domains to work? If so one domain has to be set as parked in cPanel. Seeing as scootacar.org.uk is once again main, scootacar.x10hosting.com needs to be set as a parked domain if you want both working.

If you only need one domain to work, the scootacar.org.uk one, you ONLY need to set the name servers at your domain registrar.

The .htaccess part is only needed if you want both domains to work for your site. This is what you should put in .htaccess in that case:

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^scootacar.x10hosting.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.scootacar.x10hosting.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.scootacar.org.uk$ 
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://scootacar.org.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

The above would result in that scootacar.org.uk is shown to the user (and to google), no matter what other variations they did enter in the browser in the first place.

The place where you see the option to change main domain is referenced to as account panel. (https://x10hosting.com/control)
While with cPanel we reference the login on the server where you manage your files. (https://chopin.x10hosting.com:2083 in your case)

Last edited:

scootacar

Reaction score
Thanks - that makes sense. I will have a go once I have confirmed the domain details to update their end.

I will keep you posted.

scootacar

Reaction score
Hi,

I am back.

I have set the name servers with the domain provider and have set Scootacar.org.uk as the main domain this end.

When you type scootacar.org.uk you get the following

Is this a timing issues of do I need to complete something else.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact the web site owner:

webmaster@scootacar.org.uk
It may be possible to restore access to this site by following these instructions for clearing your dns cache.
If you are the web site owner, it is possible you have reached this page because:

•The IP address has changed.
•There has been a server misconfiguration.
•The site may have been moved to a different server.
If you are the owner of this website and were not expecting to see this page, please contact your hosting provider.
Note: Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

About cPanel:
cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit our website at www.cpanel.net. Please be advised that cPanel Inc. is not a web hosting company, and as such has no control over content found elsewhere on this site.

About Apache HTTP Server:
The Apache HTTP Server is an open source web server which powers many of the world's web sites. The Apache HTTP server is part of the Apache Group's many influential projects. Their efforts have helped shape much the world wide web, and they continue to be a dominating force in the web hosting industry.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Would seem like a timing issue, everything looks to be set right server side.

scootacar

Reaction score
Thanks - Yes it's all working properly now.

Thanks for checking all the same.

The service is second to none.

scootacar

Reaction score
Hello,

Back to square one.

Nothing has been changed, but the site is now down and I can't FTP to the site using the original x10 hosting site address.

however it's working against scootacar.org.uk.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
The system I use shows only the org.uk domain name associated with the account.

The site loads fine for me. ( almost-cute cars ).

scootacar

Reaction score
That's strange. It's doing the same for me now in Google when I search for Scootacar Register. It's shows the org.uk domain address, but only an hour before it wasn't - why is this?

So I opened up dreamweaver to ftp some changes to the site and this doesn't work.