dirtracer36

Reaction score
Re: Which window you like most?

My windows 98SE is paid for.

Last edited:

islamis4u

Reaction score

what is the difference between 98se and xp?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

I choose XP. Windows 98, sure, while it was fast and light on the disk space, was just unstable. If a single app froze, the whole OS froze and you'd have to reset or Ctrl + Alt + Del x2 to restart the whole thing. Besides, XP is newer, it runs better technology on it, and it supports more RAM and faster systems than Windows 98, even 98SE would ever handle. Additionally, the NTFS file system in my opinion is a lot better than the FAT/FAT32 File system.

But if anything, I'd go for Vista.

Last edited:

MarioMaster

Reaction score

Personally, I like Macs. But I like XP better if I have to use a PC or run Boot Camp.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score

XP for sure. XP is easy, clean and stable. 98 is only used now in office environments, not for home users like me.

islamis4u

Reaction score

I choose XP. Windows 98, sure, while it was fast and light on the disk space, was just unstable. If a single app froze, the whole OS froze and you'd have to reset or Ctrl + Alt + Del x2 to restart the whole thing. Besides, XP is newer, it runs better technology on it, and it supports more RAM and faster systems than Windows 98, even 98SE would ever handle. Additionally, the NTFS file system in my opinion is a lot better than the FAT/FAT32 File system.

But if anything, I'd go for Vista.

doesn't 98 supports faster ram ?? how can that be... I did not dound any difference between NTFS and Fat while using ....myy computer..

xPlozion

Reaction score

kinda bringing up a dead topic, aren't we? w/e, xp just because it's not bloated like vista, but has the proper updates for games and stuff. also, i don't know if my hardware will be supported/used to it's fullest on 98... i don't think 98 would support 4gb's ddr2 ram, a 500gb hdd, it prob would work w/ my intel quadcore proc, but i doubt it would work w/ my *new* 9800gt vid card... drivers would be too advanced for 98 :D

Max1337

Reaction score

I'd rather use XP, because it is much faster and more stable than 98.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score

doesn't 98 supports faster ram ?? how can that be... I did not dound any difference between NTFS and Fat while using ....myy computer..

NTFS has security and compression features not found in FAT32. It's also supposed to be more efficient, as the cluster sizes are smaller.

adamlinux

Reaction score

Windows Xp is much better that windows 98 was. With windows 98 there were alot of bugs and issues with it, and windows xp has far fewer that 98 did. Plus the type of games that you can play on xp are so much better than 98, and I like the GUI better too.

M

Macaws

Neither.
Xp is slow,
and 98 is obsolete.

nterror

Reaction score

Yeah, hate the Windows OS. Linux is so much better.

But if I had to choose, it would be XP. XP was okay enough to last as long as it did. XP would've lasted longer if M$ kept to their new business model... Instead we get a new OS that runs slower and less stable/secure than the old one...

revin

Reaction score

i think windows xp is much better because of more better performance than 98 gave (less bsod) and more things work better on an xp like my flash drive 8 gb which doesn't seem to work on 98s

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score

hmm well i think xp over 98, i mean like 98 was good, but xp is the standard for most stuff now 98 is just never spoken of :(

unlikely

Reaction score

What's your reason for liking Windows XP or 98?

For me, Windows XP. Runs fast. I like all the wide applications for it and that Microsoft still supports it.

I've been using XP since it was released (Got it on a new PC we bought, p4 2.4 GHz with 512 MB ram in 2002)!, and never thought to go back.

He said it. Personally for me, it kinda goes without speaking. I've been using XP for 8 years. Why go back to 98? Not because I'm used to it. But just because the performance allows more usage and better results.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I believe that newer is better, in some way.
Windows 98 is older then windows xp.....so I must say I like Windows XP more.

Ow and I forgot to mention that almost everything new is compatible with XP more then it is with Win 98....like I said, if it is newer in my opinion it is better.

Last edited:

Mongoose92

Reaction score

I struggle to see why anyone would prefer 98 over XP, 98 was so much more unreliable, and substantially slower, with less applications and harder on the eyes. On top of that, XP makes using external hardware, from controllers to hard disks a joke, half the time you don't even need a driver-CD. Personally I think Apple is the way to go, but I have too much money invested in Windows software, and not enough money to buy a Mac.

Newer isn't always better, at the moment there's no way I would buy Vista, as it is basically still in the development stage, the bugs and backdoors are substantially greater than in XP. In a few years time, I may buy Vista, or I'll get a better job and buy a MacBook for work etc and just use this for gaming.

Last edited:
F

Fahad

I am amazed at how far this thread has grown! XP is obviously better. If it weren't for the 14 pages of debate I would have deleted this as spam!

cenobite321

Reaction score
I think Windows XP has been the best OS published by Microsoft, it was released at the first years of this century and there is still a considerable amount of people that use it and it is even sold by PC vendors as an alternative to Windows Vista. XP is also fully compatible with most (if not all) of the software in the market, while Win98 and Vista aren't totally compatible with most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.