Why do computers in movies always beep??

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
In movies this always bugged me, no matter what computer it is, hell, even if there is a Mac in the movie, and the Apple has some obvious product placement, computers in movies ALWAYS SEEM TO BEEP!

Gah, imagine if computers really beeped every time you hit a key, god I wouldn't have been able to type this post, much less, a 5,000 word English paper.

In The Taking of Pelham 123, The guy's Sony Vaio laptop beeped even when loading Google.

Why oh why hasn't the movie studios caught up with the times and still inserting beeps every time the "Computer user" hits a key or goes to GOOGLE?

allen92

Reaction score
Its part of the experience, they do that to emphasize the fact that it's an computer.

zen-r

Reaction score
What? :eek:

Do you mean that all computers don't beep like that any more? Next, you'll be trying to convince me that they also come with colour monitors now.

Perhaps I should update my old computer. I'm getting tired of having to replace some of its thermionic valves every day, anyway! ;)

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
"Why do computers in movies always beep??"

Answer No. 2)

Because the computers are all members of Equity, the Actor's Labor Union.

They get paid more for "speaking" parts!

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Computers beep for a number of reasons, to emphasize they are computers is one of them...computers now, DO NOT BEEP, unless you make it beep (if that is possible)...you see what happened...you remembered the movie because it beeped...now you told us it beeped in that movie...and I bet someone, (just like I did) is going to want to watch the movie and check it out for themselves...it is just a way for them to get more viewers...

So does that make sense...that is only one of the reasons computers on tv beep.

Have fun getting some more serious answers on this, as I don't really have to look up the rest.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think they beep to let viewers know that somebody is actually doing something on them. Like if they don't beep you're going to miss something somebody typed on it or something.

Or they beep for the same reason monitors always explode like they are stuffed with TNT.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Do you mean that all computers don't beep like that any more? Next, you'll be trying to convince me that they also come with colour monitors now.

Perhaps I should update my old computer. I'm getting tired of having to replace some of its thermionic valves every day, anyway! ;)
Wow, you're really old fashioned aren't you. Have you upgrade your old old plastic "phone" yet?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's the way Hollywood decides the objects should do, and then they play the same sounds over from their years old sound database. If done properly, they do make it flow with the movie/show, but of course if done incorrectly, it irritates me. All it does is show the computer is actually doing something, and the person isn't just pounding away on something and seeing the computer do what it was asked to do.

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score

Wow, you must have some cheap vacuum tubes in that machine. I only need to replace mine every 3 years

saif7463

Reaction score
It helps the viewers suspend their disbelief. If some guy in a movie was hitting away at a cardboard box, the audience would not be convinced that he is using a computer. HOWEVER, if the cardboard box beeped every once in a while it would be clear that he was in fact using a computer.

It it don't beep, it ain't real.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It helps the viewers suspend their disbelief. If some guy in a movie was hitting away at a cardboard box, the audience would not be convinced that he is using a computer. HOWEVER, if the cardboard box beeped every once in a while it would be clear that he was in fact using a computer.

It it don't beep, it ain't real.

I think most of it is video recordings anyway, and the actor is just saying and pressing the buttons at the correct time.

vekou

Reaction score
hollywood studios should change the sound effects when using computers, well, they could change the BEEP to a sound of an ENTER key being pressed really hard.

now what the hell are we going to do with these movies that make new computers beep? should we ban them, for reasons of being unrealistic? lol

dojodesigns

Reaction score
"Why do computers in movies always beep??"

Answer No. 2)

Because the computers are all members of Equity, the Actor's Labor Union.

They get paid more for "speaking" parts!

LMAO - now I REALLY wonder about the Actor's Labor Union... On top of that, did you notice that almost all the cool techie movies don't have a version of windows on them? They always have some transparent command window with some holgraphic image behind it... some 3d thing that just zooms and zips around like the demo for some overpriced video card?

EDIT: Don't worry folks, even in the 24th century (Star Trek) the computer consoles beep...

Last edited:

lagflag

Reaction score
In movies this always bugged me, no matter what computer it is, hell, even if there is a Mac in the movie, and the Apple has some obvious product placement, computers in movies ALWAYS SEEM TO BEEP!

Gah, imagine if computers really beeped every time you hit a key, god I wouldn't have been able to type this post, much less, a 5,000 word English paper.

In The Taking of Pelham 123, The guy's Sony Vaio laptop beeped even when loading Google.

Why oh why hasn't the movie studios caught up with the times and still inserting beeps every time the "Computer user" hits a key or goes to GOOGLE?

Now they attach that silly sound to the smart phones! Imagine an IPHONE or SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 doing that noise?!!!