Will PHP be updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiegi

Reaction score
X10 is still on PHP 5.4.36 when there is 7.07 and 5.6.22 available for a month now.
Or this this just a bug in the Cpanel where it is showing an incorrect version (i'm noticing that new functions are working)

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
cPanel, PHP, and MySQL Updates

May 24, 2016 By Corey

We have started rolling out updates across our servers for cPanel, PHP, and MySQL, we expect these updates to be completed by the end of the month. The only major change here is that you will now have the additional option of using PHP 7, the rest of the changes will be mostly behind the scenes related to performance and security. These updates will be for all of shared hosting including free and premium.

Highlights
  • PHP 5.6 will become the new default PHP version on new and existing accounts.
  • PHP 5.4 and 5.5 will remain available as options for the foreseeable future.
  • PHP 7.0 will now be available as an option, but will not be the default.
If you have previously selected a PHP version besides the default these changes will not affect your choice, if you are on the default you will be automatically switched to PHP 5.6. If your scripts\site are not compatible for some reason you can downgrade to PHP 5.4 or 5.5 via your cPanel. More information and instructions on changing your PHP version and settings can be found in this blog post.

Also keep in mind that older PHP versions can be phased out at anytime, our number one priority is security and because a lot of the older versions of PHP are end of lifed there is not a guarantee they will see security updated in the case of exploits being found. It is strongly recommended that you make sure your scripts are up to date and support at least PHP 5.6 with PHP 7 support being available in the near future. Popular scripts such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc all support the current PHP releases by default, just make sure you keep them up to date.

More information can be found at the below link regarding PHPs end of life policy:

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

https://x10hosting.com/blog/

techiegi

Reaction score
Thank you very much, out of curiosity how were functions of newer versions of PHP working on my install?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, cPanel is reporting what cPanel itself is using, which may or may not be what your user account is using. cPanel is weird sometimes.

djalikx1

Reaction score
cPanel, PHP, and MySQL Updates

May 24, 2016 By Corey

We have started rolling out updates across our servers for cPanel, PHP, and MySQL, we expect these updates to be completed by the end of the month. The only major change here is that you will now have the additional option of using PHP 7, the rest of the changes will be mostly behind the scenes related to performance and security. These updates will be for all of shared hosting including free and premium.

Highlights
  • PHP 5.6 will become the new default PHP version on new and existing accounts.
  • PHP 5.4 and 5.5 will remain available as options for the foreseeable future.
  • PHP 7.0 will now be available as an option, but will not be the default.
If you have previously selected a PHP version besides the default these changes will not affect your choice, if you are on the default you will be automatically switched to PHP 5.6. If your scripts\site are not compatible for some reason you can downgrade to PHP 5.4 or 5.5 via your cPanel. More information and instructions on changing your PHP version and settings can be found in this blog post.

Also keep in mind that older PHP versions can be phased out at anytime, our number one priority is security and because a lot of the older versions of PHP are end of lifed there is not a guarantee they will see security updated in the case of exploits being found. It is strongly recommended that you make sure your scripts are up to date and support at least PHP 5.6 with PHP 7 support being available in the near future. Popular scripts such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc all support the current PHP releases by default, just make sure you keep them up to date.

More information can be found at the below link regarding PHPs end of life policy:

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

https://x10hosting.com/blog/

My cpanel is only showing 5.4 and 5.5 as options. I thought 5.6 was supposed to be available by the end of May and it's July 12th. PHP 5.5 security support ended 2 days ago and I want to make sure my site remains secure against new vulnerabilities.

I am using the following url to attempt to change the php version:

https://xo2.x10hosting.com:2083/cpsess0908493821/frontend/x3/lveversion/extension-selector.html

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I thought 5.6 was supposed to be available by the end of May
at [ cPanel-x3 theme ] ( not x10hosting Basic) home page --> Software and Services --> Select PHP Version - will list (pull down) which PHP version you can set for your free-hosting account - on my free-hosting server [ xo3 ] is up to 7.0

cPanel is showing (recognizing) the version of PHP that cPanel itself is running on (parts of cPanel are written in PHP) - Usually it is the same PHP version as your free-hosting account - but the versions can get out of sync

Last edited:

djalikx1

Reaction score
That's exactly where this link is going that I posted. In my pull down I only have options for 5.4 and 5.5. Maybe x02 is not up to date yet?

djalikx1

Reaction score
That's exactly where this link is going that I posted. In my pull down I only have options for 5.4 and 5.5. Maybe x02 is not up to date yet?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I have options for 5.4 - 5.5 - 7.0 -:- but I do not have 5.6

BTW - the link you posted can only be used by you - you need to log-in to your cPanel to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.