WinRAR or WinZIP

chisaku

Reaction score
Winrar... Winzip isn't as strong on the file extraction side. Winrar has many more file extensions it can open... So that's pretty great.

I had a use at 7zip, but I don't remember if I liked it or not... I ought to try it once more when I need unzipping and unrarring! x'D

iholla

Reaction score
If we are strictly speaking of Winrar and Winzip, then from my experience, Winrar rules hands down! It just has better compression ratios and is alot more compatible with numerous other archives.

Otherwise, taking general characteristics, the best archiver I have used so far is Power Archiver.

However, when it comes to compression ratios, KGB archiver is way better.

excid3

Reaction score
just use 7zip...it can extract anything you throw at it, unless its corrupt ;)

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I use WinRAR, it can handle many more file types and the 'upgrade to paid version' messages are much less annoying.

eliasr

Reaction score
7zip rocks!

WinRAR is better than WinZip, but personally i use 7zip.

mors_

Reaction score
7zip, its free (not nagware), and does everything I need it to do very simply, none of that crazy obscure interface that requires you to make sense of, like in WinZip.

nayddan

Reaction score
i use winrar the multiple file association is the main reason and I guess also that alot programs that you download these days are .rar zipped

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
WinRAR is the program I use because it has the best compression ratio of all archiving programs, and can unzip every format I use. It is kept simple and functional.

Last edited:

intenex

Reaction score
Definitely WinRAR. If there were other choices, though, 7zip is the best open source by far.

______

BlackQuantum

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
BlackQuantum.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
WinRAR is the program I use because it has the best compression ratio of all archiving programs, and can unzip every format I use. It is kept simple and functional.
That isn't true. gzip (tar.gz), bzip2 (tar.bz2), and 7-zip (7z) all compress better than rar. And out of the three, 7z compresses the most, followed by bzip2, and finally gzip. However, another factor to consider is the amount of processing power and time it takes to decompress a particular archive.

In my opinion, if we're talking about downloading files from the Internet on a PC, saving bandwidth is more important than saving decompression time because it saves the host's bandwidth which saves them money. Another positive is the amount the download time is reduced for the user, but the extra time spent decompressing might make them end up spending more time to actually use what's in the archive.

In portable systems running on battery power, it's more important to use compression formats which put less strain on the CPU, because more CPU usage equals more power usage, which equals a lower battery life. The MP3 format is less intensive on the CPU than the Vorbis format using the OGG container.

In games using compressed data, using formats that take longer to decompress will cause longer load times. Some examples of this are id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) and id Tech 3 (Quake 3 engine), which both use zip files (renamed to .pk4 in id tech 4, and .pk3 in id Tech 3) to compress their game data. This saves hard drive space and also makes the games very portable.

figu120

Reaction score
Hello
For mid and the two I like most Winrar

But the best is the 7zip then compresses better way ultra

Jejejejeje

struni

Reaction score
I use win rar. It works very well, when compared to winzip I think. I never used 7zip or others. Usually I use winrar for decompression purpose only.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I use WinRAR (The Free Version).
It's much better than Winzip because it can support more formats, and I feel it's simpler to use.