wordpress based music magazine website

liamsmith

Reaction score
redesigned, looking for criticisms.

Pretty much what the topic / description says really.

its an online music magazine (or ezine) and is built on wordpress with a load of plugins and a template i made by following a tutorial.

Looking for feedback on design elements, font choices, style etc and then also on functionality / ease of use.

Not looking to have the content reviewed (articles etc) just the components / pages.

happy to answer any questions.

one last thing, its abit buggy in internet explorer it seems. i made it in firefox and it looks fine there. so no need to mention that =]

thank you for any help!

cheers
Liam

oh...the website crowdsurfer.net

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Overall, I like it.

I can't read the menu :(

~Callum

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey,

Looking at the overall look of the website it looks very nice and clean. There are however a few things that I do not like about the website.

First things first, is the menus. The main menu of the website is a little to spaced out for my liking. The font used on the website is fine, it is readable, perhaps fixing the layout of the content as mentioned in earlier posts, it seems to be slightly out of line.

Another thing is the site news logos used at the bottom of the page. I am not a massive fan of them, for me it is the font used.

In order to improve, I think that the content should be placed in boxes, so it stands out from the background that you have used. In order to do this, I propose using a white background, with perhaps a black border of some sort, and also add a little bit of padding to the edges so that the content does not align straight up against the left edge.

Other than that the website is good, nice looking and you are heading in the right direction, its just that there are a few imperfections.

Regards,
Zenax

liamsmith

Reaction score
Thank you Zenax for taking time out to contribute! Ive made the suggestions a reality if you reload the site (link)

My feelings are..

The main menu of the website is a little to spaced out for my liking...
Changed it a little, i want it spaced more than the content though.

site news logos used at the bottom of the page. I am not a massive fan
gone. That font matched an earlier 'grungy' template i was using.

content should be placed in boxes... I propose using a white background, with perhaps a black border of some sort, and also add a little bit of padding to the edges
Now then. Im not loving this look on the homepage. however, I do like it on category listings (album listings etc) and i do like it on individual posts. But on the homepage i think big white blocks arent very stylish. I view the homepage as a front cover of a book, to entice you in, look pretty. I agree it helps distinguish the articles from the background though.

What do you think? (anyone. click here to see without above changes)

Thank you for the advice! =]
Liam

mattblog

Reaction score
I think you should first center it. After that maybe the background could be changed to flow a bit better but very nice site and good content( i know you didnt want content to be reviewed but i had to)

~Matt

liamsmith

Reaction score
Cheers! Glad you like the content. Reasons why i didnt want it discussed here was just a. I know its not perfect english, spelling etc but all the content is from me and my friends who all do it for fun, we have full time jobs / uni / partners etc so its not a huge publication by any means!

also my post here was not to drum up visitors, if i get fans from this exposure then great but its not the main goal. That is to try and showcase our work as best we can in a way people want to look at the site and enjoy seeing what they see.

As for your advice, because i use several divs which have left position values to center them all would be a bit tricky. id have to redraw all the divs in a central container. and I have to be up for work in 6 hours haha.

I'll definatley do it soon though see how it looks. might help with the cross browser compatablity issues too if i have expandable dead space either side!

cheers
Liam

craigp86

Reaction score
looking good tho i will say the content is to close to the left edge, apart from that looks good.

craig