Wordpress Plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We are going to do a test of the resource monitoring system by setting up some popular scripts with the most commonly used plugins\modules and simulating traffic to it with load impact to get a baseline of what these scripts use in terms of resource usage.

The first script we will be testing is Wordpress, please post what plugins you use here. We will take the most common and see how they fair and will provide the results to the community.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Akismet is going to be one of the more popular on the list since it comes with it, you'll have to get it set up though (needs an akismet api key which is free to get).

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of those the only ones they'd have to test are everything -but- WPeMatico, as we don't allow autoblogging software. You'd know that cause it's in the TOS, of course.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Minor note to the previous post, http://www.websitedefender.com/secure-wordpress-plugin/, http://www.websitedefender.com/websitedefender-wordpress-security-plugin/, and http://www.websitedefender.com/wordpress-security-scan-plugin-from-websitedefender/ are the 3 wordpress plugins, the rest is all hosted by them. I can confirm that the security scan plugin in particular is a MASSIVE DRAIN to resources, however it's manually triggered so the "daily impact" of running it should be zilch, unless you have it scan daily.

leyotademars47

Reaction score
Hi Corey.

For your information and for your tests, here is the list of the plugins that I'm using right now:

Check Email Check email allows you to test if your WordPress installation is sending emails correctly.

Version 0.1.1 | Par Chris Taylor | Aller sur le site de l’extension

Dashboard Site NotesCreate site notes to appear either on the dashboard or at the top of various admin pages.
Version 1.2 | Par Ben Irvin | Aller sur le site de l’extension

http:BL WordPress Plugin http:BL WordPress Plugin allows you to verify IP addresses of clients connecting to your blog against the Project Honey Pot database.

Version 1.8 | Par Jan Stępień | Aller sur le site de l’extension

Project Honey Pot Spam Trap This plugin automatically scatters invisible links to Project Honey Pot spam traps throughout your wordpress blog to help catch and stop spammers.

Version 1.0.1 | Par Andrew Ensley | Aller sur le site de l’extension

Subscribe2 Notifies an email list when new entries are posted.

Version 6.5 | Par Matthew Robinson | Aller sur le site de l’extension

WordPress Importer Import posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, tags and more from a WordPress export file.

Version 0.5 | Par wordpressdotorg | Aller sur le site de l’extension

WP-Mail-SMTP Reconfigures the wp_mail() function to use SMTP instead of mail() and creates an options page to manage the settings.

Version 0.9.1 | Par Callum Macdonald | Aller sur le site de l’extension

I hope that it will help. :smile:

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the list so far, this will help in our testing. Please add more to the list, we're trying to get the best real world examples here so we can provide actual statistics to our users to show how much CPU usage a wordpress blog takes by default, optimized, and with a bunch of plugins. This should help users make a more informed decision of what plugins to use on their site, and hopefully avoid any hassles with our high resource usage systems.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
StatPress Reloaded (gives stats on the viewers of the blog).

That'd be one that I use and that I guess could use up some resources. Got a few others as well but mainly ones that are triggered by events (one to automatically post to twitter or facebook for instance) and thus likely would not really cause an issue unless you make new posts very fast :)

I've got quick cache as well, which is supposed to decrease resource usage, but I guess that when it is updated it may use some.

m_a_rcelinho81

Reaction score
The plugins that I use:
Akismet
Cloudlflare Plugin
Wordpress.com Jetpack
SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam
WP-Cache
WP-Optimize
WP-Referrers
WP-UserAgent

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine on my premium account has 3 I didn't see earlier; "No SpamUser, TimesToCome Stop Bot Registration, Wordpress Firewall."

First two are cause I've been bot-registered on; the Firewall's been most helpful with stopping that, but since it is designed to try and identify bots I guess it could actually be semi-intensive on free.

vekou

Reaction score
I guess we can skip the Cloudflare plugin since it's embedded in W3 Total Cache. Automattic claims that Jetpack runs mainly on their server so, I want to believe that it uses low resources. I suggest testing CPU-intensive plugins, like the ones people use for galleries and modify an image, especially plugins that use timthumb; so are Caching plugins.

Akismet is going to be one of the more popular on the list since it comes with it, you'll have to get it set up though (needs an akismet api key which is free to get).
How about the Hello Dolly plugin, it also comes bundled with Wordpress :p

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello Dolly uses almost nothing! It only loads in the Wordpress Control Panel.

lucasxiihk96

Reaction score
Plugins I use:
Google XML Sitemaps (For Google Search).
Autoptimize (To improve the loading speed).
Optimize DB (Obvious)
TPC! Memory Usage (To measure the memory usage and prevent bann).

luvish

Reaction score
I was using communitypress until yesterday.
Beginning yesterday I am continuously getting the following issue: whenever I'm updating/installing any component, the install gets stuck at

Unpacking the package…

I've tried all known methods to resolve the issue, including a complete reinstall of everything but still facing the same issue.

Could you please check if your server script is interfering with this functionality?

theone48

Reaction score
Hello luvish, I'm not sure this is the right room for your issue, but your problem might also be caused from interferance from another program, script or update. Just a thought for you to check.

amresh_rai47

Reaction score
I am using below wordpress plugins :

Google XML Sitemaps
All in One SEO
Akismet
Contact Form 7
Google Analytics for WordPress
KeyCAPTCHA
Secure WordPress from website defender
WP Super Cache

Any suggestions?