Would you give up cPanel for better uptime?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Corey, May 25, 2009.

How important is cPanel to you?

1. I can't live without it.

113 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. I would trade it for better uptime and stability.

205 vote(s)
    64.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ

Russ <b>Retired *****</b>

VistaPanel is cPanel. ;) VistaPanel is just a theme for it.

2. zubair12

zubair12 Banned

is there any function change in it??

3. lala123

lala123 New Member

Oops! So, that's it :happysad: . I just thought that would be a good replacing. :happysad:

So, what would be the best CP for this case?

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  4. Lochie

Lochie New Member

I use PHP and FTP to update my site, and the only thing I use cPanel for is to access phpMyAdmin, which you can install anyways. Out with cPanel!

5. PC Hamster

PC Hamster New Member

I personally would not mind not having cPanel either. Though this is a new account for me, I have a few others on X10 & ditching cPanel I think would eliminate the need for an additional username to remember (Like we really need another username besides the sub-domain just to access the File Manager? I don't think so. No one else does it like that).

Another thing I wouldn't mind seeing getting the proverbial axe is FTP. I mean when is the last time THAT had any sign of stability? It had to be before I moved here with my first account.

Let me list the sites I have here....

Against The Storm (My first account here)

As My World Turns (The site for this account)

As My Weight Loss World Turns (My Weight Loss site that's also the spinoff of the one under this account)

The Left Wing Conservative (My Political site - Currently under suspension though as I build the others).

Of course, I'll put all of these in a sig, but that just goes to show how much effort I'm putting into moving & creating sites here.

Therefore, I feel that ditching cPanel AND FTP would improve uptime. I mean look at what happened when Geocities stopped supporting FTP. Uptime SKYROCKETED. Now that Geocities is closing down completely, the Internet is going to need places like X10 MORE THAN EVER since Geocities (Until it officially closes) has (Albeit perhaps arguably) the largest amount of freebie websites out there.

True, one can buy their own domain for less than the cost of a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds these days & have it pointed at their X10 hosted site (People do this all the time all over the Internet). But can one really say the same thing when it comes to actual web hosting? I don't think so.

Well....That's it for my editorial :) *LOL!*

Hopefully I've given you guys a few things to think about Corey & Co.

Just my opinion....

Cheers :)

Pat

P.S. The forum activity timer is set WAY too short. It needs to be adjusted so that people can post long messages like this one without having to log in again. Just a little feedback. :D
    Edit:
    Garrett....If I really wanted to, I could consolidate my personal website & weight loss website (Since one is merely a spinoff of the other anyway) & the problem of instability would still be there.

As such, I don't think the number of accounts alone matters a whole lot. What REALLY matters IMO is how many accounts are being accessed at any given time.

But again.....That's just my opinion....

Pat

6. leafypiggy

leafypiggy Manager of Pens and Office Supplies Staff Member

FTP has nothing to do with the uptime of apache. Also, how do you expect to upload files to the server without FTP? Even file managers use FTP to upload files...

7. garrettroyce

garrettroyce Generally Helpful Member Community Support

It seems that it is a combination of both the number of sites and the number of people accessing the sites. If there were less sites, CPanel could rebuild Apache in a much shorter time. If there were less people accessing the sites, Apache could shut down much quicker and stop ignoring new requests.

The number of accounts that would have to be closed probably hundreds for CPanel to be effective as is on X10.

Also, you can host more than one site on your account using addon domains so you don't have to have so many accounts ;)

8. zen-r

zen-r Active Member

Exactly.

PC Hamster, whilst I enjoyed reading & appreciate your post, it seems as though you haven't read the posts made by Corey etc at the start of this thread. My understanding is that the main problem is the size of the config file (caused by so many registered accounts) which has to load every time Apache restarts.........And has little to do with the issues you highlighted in your post.

[​IMG] >> Good point about Geocities by the way. Staff, I hope you are on to this one. This is clearly an area where x10 could really stand to gain if the right moves are made as soon as possible. This could include targeted advertising towards Geocities members, some sort of deal with Geocities to allow plugs for x10 on their site, extra publicity via the media etc pointing out how x10 can facilitate an easy hosting transfer from Geocities, etc.

Please click my Reputation button [​IMG] (at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

9. sonicsshadow

sonicsshadow Member

Why not set up a server without cPanel on it and allow those who do not want to use cPanel to transfer to that server with the replacement. If people want cPanel and want to lose up time, then their server can be down all they want.

That way the people who don't need cPanel can benefit.

10. garrettroyce

11. lala123

lala123 New Member

Just wondering, without the cPanel, functions like changing MX Records, Parked-Addon Domains,... will be gone away :nuts: . Nah, I don't like that.

12. Livewire

Livewire Abuse Compliance Officer Staff Member

cPanel doesn't add those functions, it just makes them accessable. Those are all controlled by Apache.

Basically, all cPanel does is add in a webpage to add the settings to apache so apache can serve the requests as you want it to. Can dot hat with any panel if you program it to :)

Edit: Actually I take part of it back, I'm not 100% POSITIVE it's all controlled by apache, but it seems odd that it wouldn't be.

13. garrettroyce

Yeah, that's all apache. CPanel just adds all the parked/addon/redirected domains to apache's configuration files then apache knows where to direct requests to that domain.

14. PC Hamster

PC Hamster New Member

Wait till Cossacks becomes as loaded as Stoli is though.....

Pat
    Edit:
    But what's even worse is the idea of promoting a website with a URL like http://abcd.efgh.ijkl.com/. I'd just assume buy a TLD before I start pimping a URL like the example above.

Just my opinion....

Pat

EDIT The above are TWO SEPERATE posts & ARE NOT Doubleposts

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  15. lala123

lala123 New Member

Hmm, so it'll be a bit confuse to work directly with the Apache (through the text editor with a bunch of code). But I think I can handle it, without the CPanel. There must be some tutorials posted on the Internet anyway.

I watched the server status many times, and I see that the Absolut and Starka server is the two servers that have most downtimes (Absolut down both HTTP and HTTPS in the same time, and Starka is HTTP). Nah, my website is on Starka server, I'm just unlucky. :dunno:
    Staff, please do something!

16. Smith6612

Smith6612 I ate all of the x10Pizza Community Support

Absolut in the past used to have the best uptime, and it was always Stoli that was going down, so things have changed :p

17. garrettroyce

Yeah for sure. I was on Stoli in the bad old days.

You'd never have to edit a text file to configure Apache. The danger of the average user messing up Apache would be way too huge. Apache simply will not run if there is even a syntax error in the config, let alone a really harmful error. There will always have to be an automated system to do this, whether it be CPanel or Joe Schmo's Bargin panel.

18. lala123

lala123 New Member

Thanks, what I mean is edit some small parts of the Apache, not the entire big config file. But it's great to have an automated system :) .

19. Joshua203

Joshua203 New Member

I am noticing big time improvement in uptime too on cossacks last three days, looks good so far

greetings, ..Joshua203

20. garrettroyce

I just signed up for my free account, as I closed my old one, and I am on cossacks. It has been excellent. The FTP was a little slow for about 5 minutes yesterday, but I haven't noticed any other problems yet.

Corey is the MAN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.