X10 Chess tournament

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So, who wants to participate in a chess tournament?
My idea is we dust off our chess boards, and post the moves here on x10. The winner of each match will play with the winner of another match. The final winner is the final winner.

Any improvements? Anyone want to do this? And it can get fun.

fguy64

Reaction score
Hi

I like the idea, but I''ve tried it before, and having to log in and post the moves in text form ends up being a lot of extra work, and people lose interest, posting move notation is also prone to typographical errors. Maybe there is a way we can make it work though.

There are some tools available, little scripts that work on some boards that make this kind of thing easier, I'm going to try a few things here, stay tuned.

White: fguy64 - Black: ichwar (ongoing game)

f-ichess.jpg

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
I used to play it a lot. But it's so many years since then that I've lost the knack now - and I don't want to lose to someone like ichwar. I'd never hear the end of it!

Also, I don't think I've got the patience for it any more. Too much puzzling over something that doesn't earn me money!

But I'd enjoy watching the games unfold here if others played. And I'm really curious to see what fguy64 comes up with. It would be great to see something that works on this forum, without having to go & play on another site.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
OK I have uploaded a jpg of a chess board, and place the URL between img tags, we should be able to view a graphic of a chess board. This way, all we need to do is take a snapshot of our computerized chess board, and upload it to our home directory using the same file name, that way we should not have to update the URL or type anything at all.

game1.jpg

There are also some nice little java script chess viewers, but I don't know that you can execute java script within a forum message such as this.

zen-r

Reaction score
I don't get it. How are the pieces moved?

Is there not a way to just insert a link to a suitable chess playing site, & have it display the latest move & board layout here?

Edit : Ah, I think I understand your post a bit better now. Do you propose playing elsewhere, & just posting the snapshots here?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, cool.
SEE ATTACHED IMAGE
That's how I play chess, so could you recommend to me a good multiplatform gui?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
I don't get it. How are the pieces moved?

Is there not a way to just insert a link to a suitable chess playing site, & have it display the latest move & board layout here?

Edit : Ah, I think I understand your post a bit better now. Do you propose playing elsewhere, & just posting the snapshots here?

In my example, the moves are made off line, then you take a snapshot of the current position. So someone who is watching would not be able to play over the game, just see the latest position. As well as the move list.

There may be a way to link to another site dynamically, and have the stuff displayed here... some kind of embedding maybe like with youTube videos?

I kind of think we would need some additional configuration from x10 system staff, but i'll try some stuff.

experiment time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHz7CZ1RIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHz7CZ1RIQ
Edit:
ichwar, check out something known as X-Board.

also, in my example, we still have to connect to x10 to see what our opponent has played,
then we make the moves locally on our own our own computers.

in my example, we still connect to x10 to see what our opponent has done, then we make the moves on
our own computer chess sets, there is no third party website.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok. will do.
Edit:
alright, got xboard easily. it was just in the repositories so it was a simple matter of typing
sudo apt-get install xboard y
into the terminal!
Edit:
what is that software used in the screenshot?

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Fguy64 : OK. As I thought.

Alternatively, find a site on which the moves are made, then displayed consecutively (rather than sites which only display the current position). Then all one has to do is insert a link in one's post here, to the image on the other site. I don't know if such sites exist, but it might be a nice easy option if they do.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
<div id="gk-daily-puzzle">Play <a href="http://gameknot.com/">chess</a> online!</div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://gameknot.com/daily-puzzle.js"></script>

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score