x10hosting Pumpkin Decorating Competition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
5649230-creepy-carved-pumpkin-face-with-a-smile.jpg

With two short weeks left until Halloween we have decided to organize a pumpkin decorating competition.

How it Works
Decorate a pumpkin and upload a photograph of it to this thread. The judging will be by the x10 support team/community advocates. We will be judging based on creativity and uniqueness. We will list the top 10 submissions. The two users of the top pumpkins (although this may be increased if the competition proves popular) will receive a prize.

The Rules
  1. Your entry must be on a pumpkin (you can use a gourd or squash if you are unable to obtain a pumpkin)
  2. Decorate your pumpkin however you want - carved, painted, dressed up, etc. (bonus points for x10-related)
  3. You must not digitally edit or produce your photo
  4. You can submit as many pumpkins as you want
  5. You must include a piece of paper with your username in each photo submitted
  6. You can submit pumpkins by uploading the image and replying to this thread
  7. All entries must be submitted on or before October the 29th, and will be announced on the 30th

Any users who breaks these rules will be disqualified.

The Prizes
The top winner will receive a free Illuminated upgrade to their hosting account for five years.
See here for more information about the Illuminated account.

Second place will receive a free .com/.net/.org domain, courtesy of Neil.

If the competition proves popular, more prizes may be added.

Winner has been announced, please see here.

UPDATE 18/10: Added domain.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just to clarify for our users: would such standard photo processing procedures as noise reduction, colour balancing (correcting the colour temperature), sharpening and/or cropping (for framing purposes only) count as "digital editing" for the purposes of this contest? (I ask because some cameras handle these things competently in-camera while others do not.) And if so, would a polished picture for judging, submitted along with the original, untouched version (with EXIF intact, for proof of the physical reality of the pumpkin) be acceptable?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
standard photo processing procedures as noise reduction, colour balancing (correcting the colour temperature), sharpening and/or cropping (for framing purposes only)
That would be fine.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Awesome; heard you talking about this on the IRC :)

@essellar: Congratulations on Community Advocate! :)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Neil has kindly offered to give away a domain as a prize, I've added it to the OP.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
New question (minor at that, but a good one worth asking) - they make Craft Pumpkins now, which are essentially pumpkin shaped hollowed out foam blocks with a fake skin (not sure what they make the skin from). Depending on the area these are easier to get than pumpkins, but I've used them mostly because a pumpkin rots, and foam doesn't.

Would a false pumpkin of this type be allowed? I don't plan on entering, but I figure I should ask since the local Joann Fabrics just ran a 60% off sale on their craft pumpkins in orange and white :)

jtb_btj13

Reaction score
ok.
Another way of obtaining the service of x10Hosting.
Excellent move on .......

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
New question (minor at that, but a good one worth asking) - they make Craft Pumpkins now, which are essentially pumpkin shaped hollowed out foam blocks with a fake skin (not sure what they make the skin from). Depending on the area these are easier to get than pumpkins, but I've used them mostly because a pumpkin rots, and foam doesn't.

Would a false pumpkin of this type be allowed? I don't plan on entering, but I figure I should ask since the local Joann Fabrics just ran a 60% off sale on their craft pumpkins in orange and white :)

If you can't get a pumpkin then I guess it would be alright, but it would probably give you a disadvantage. Also, plan on entering! :D

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
http://i56.tinypic.com/16idxls.jpg
callumacrae said:
The Rules

Your entry must be on a pumpkin (you can use a gourd or squash if you are unable to obtain a pumpkin)
Decorate your pumpkin however you want - carved, painted, dressed up, etc. (bonus points for x10-related)
You must not digitally edit or produce your photo
You can submit as many pumpkins as you want
You must include a piece of paper with your username in each photo submitted
You can submit pumpkins by uploading the image and replying to this thread
All entries must be submitted before October the 29th, and will be announced on the 30th

Please see the above rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
manik: you do have to upload the image to somewhere, embedding off of your hard-drive will not work for viewing for anyone but you. In my case, it'd actually display my desktop image, which isn't a pumpkin.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
manik: Try uploading via imageshack.us and then post the link here.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
http://i52.tinypic.com/o6mdfc.jpg

Forum Name- asammustafa143[/B]

As the rules stated, you need to have a piece of paper in the actual photo that has your username written on it. This proves that it is actually yours and not some photo taken from the internet.

The Rules

Your entry must be on a pumpkin (you can use a gourd or squash if you are unable to obtain a pumpkin)
Decorate your pumpkin however you want - carved, painted, dressed up, etc. (bonus points for x10-related)
You must not digitally edit or produce your photo
You can submit as many pumpkins as you want
You must include a piece of paper with your username in each photo submitted
You can submit pumpkins by uploading the image and replying to this thread
All entries must be submitted before October the 29th, and will be announced on the 30th

Also, remember that Tineye makes finding copies of the pictures very easy... For example, the Pikachu pumpkin is posted here and many other places: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lydiah/23-poke-pumpkins-18d7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.