Rule Reminder \ Upcoming Rule Changes

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post this reminding everyone that if you have a free hosting account you are required to login to the forums at least once every two weeks(No posting required). We've waived this rule for the past two months while we got our infrastructure setup. This is nearly completed and we will be re-enabling suspensions in the next day or two. With a mock run there are currently 5600 accounts that will be suspended. So if you are subscribed to the news and read this via Email please login to the forums or you will be suspended.

Additional rule changes... in the past we've tried to accommodate every user by modifying our setup to meet your requirements. We've decided that going forward we will only be supporting the popular scripts out there. That means we will no longer be compiling in extensions and modules for single users because they want to try something out. This change will maybe affect 1% of our users if that.

We're also going to be making some changes to what we allow with crons. You will only be allowed 1 cron per 5 minute period. There are WAY too many users installing game scripts that run multiple crons every minute and then just go inactive leaving these scripts running. If 100 users do this that is 100-200 php processes that run every minute depending on the script. This also causes major problems with the mail queue because half of you don't put in a valid Email so the cron emails bounce back and sit in the mail queue for 3 days. This causes issues for everyone on the server and will not be allowed any more. If you currently have more than 1 cron running every 5 minutes you will have until the end of the week to change it. After that you will be automatically suspended.

Questions?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a guess as to the answer, but are crons on Paid affected by the new cron change?

I'm guessing no because of it being paid (way less users on there to clog things up), but I'd rather be safe than suspended :)

vol7ron

Reaction score
I also question the Cron for paid and I support limiting Crons for the free servers.

Additionally, by "popular scripts" does that include Perl modules? And are paid accounts affected by this?

Thanks,
vol7ron

JXVForums

Reaction score
Hey, since you seem to be moving along fast, how much longer will it be until the queue will actually move, I have been waiting for 3 days, just waiting for this service to open since I actually see people using it, my other hosts always have had problems.

Toffmonster

Reaction score
What about users who bought timerstop for 1 year, will you offer similar option this year and will you be sending warnings a few weeks before this timerstop is going to expire?

hcse26

Reaction score
Hey, since you seem to be moving along fast, how much longer will it be until the queue will actually move, I have been waiting for 3 days, just waiting for this service to open since I actually see people using it, my other hosts always have had problems.

Be lucky kid... others have been waiting since december... no joke...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
These rules only affect free services. ;)

For the inactivity timer... we're actually moving that to be purchased on the forums. It's not 100% complete yet so I'm not sure on the email reminders as of yet.

-Corey

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
These rules only affect free services. ;)

For the inactivity timer... we're actually moving that to be purchased on the forums. It's not 100% complete yet so I'm not sure on the email reminders as of yet.

-Corey
does that mean we can use our points to buy it or does this still need paypal ?

stahn.universe

Reaction score
If you currently have more than 1 cron running every 5 minutes you will have until the end of the week to change it. After that you will be automatically suspended.

Questions?
Problem is... there might be some people that don't even know what a 'cron' is or how to check what they have. I know, but I don't know how to check =\

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Problem is... there might be some people that don't even know what a 'cron' is or how to check what they have. I know, but I don't know how to check =\

Simple way to tell: if you didn't put it there, there isn't one, cause Cron's are on cpanel they're pretty difficult (if not impossible) for scripts to go and install on their own.

To check though (hopefully it's the same on Free as it is on Paid):

Login to your cPanel.

Way at the bottom under Advanced, click Cron Jobs.

Pick Standard for the view, easier to describe.

It should have a groupbox labeled Entry 1 - the textbox for Command To Run should be blank.

If it's not, you've got a cron running; scroll down on the page to see the others.

In my case Entry 1 is filled in, Entry 2 is blank, so I've got 1 cron running. The times it runs are also filled in there, in my case, every day at midnight.

The key thing to make sure of is to make sure if you've got 2 or more entries in there, make sure there's NO chance that two will run within 5 minutes of each other (a cron running every 15 minutes and a cron running every hour will execute at the same time once per hour, for instance). Could get ya suspended, and that'd be bad.

dest581

Reaction score
If you don't know what cron is or don't know how to check if you have it, it's very likely that you don't have one (unless you set up cron jobs while sleeping). ;)

parkerpt

Reaction score
Exceptions?

This summer, my family and I will be traveling for three weeks to some remote parts of China. We will not have computer access for the trip.

Is there some way for my free hosting account to avoid suspension during this period?

Thanks!

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Exceptions?

This summer, my family and I will be traveling for three weeks to some remote parts of China. We will not have computer access for the trip.

Is there some way for my free hosting account to avoid suspension during this period?

Thanks!
Yes, there is a way.
You can either buy an inactivity timer which will allow you to not have to login to the forums for a year (I think) or upgrade to paid hosting for a month. :)

zen-r

Reaction score
Exceptions?

Thanks!

I knew I had seen the inactvity timer somewhere - after ages searching I eventually found it for you in http://forums.x10hosting.com/payments.php

One of x10's best-kept secrets?!

I don't know if it still works, but it looks functional. Just $3/yr - seems fair. I expect some of the younger members here, without access to online money, would also like the option to pay using x10 credits. Perhaps this will get implemented some time.

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(bottom corner of this post) & make me :biggrin: -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback.Thanks

parkerpt

Reaction score
Where in the ToS does it say that an inactivity timer can be substituted for logging into the forums?

How does the inactivity timer work? Can it be customized to be used just for a limited time?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
The ToS states that you must log into the forums at least once every two weeks to keep your account un-suspended.

If you don't login to the forums once in a two week period, your account is suspended; pending termination.