Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
let's see what the gender ratio is. I bet there are a lot more males...:tongue:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, so far we have you outnumbered two to one. That's two of us and one of you -- but I have a feeling there's more than the three of us using the site. Maybe the lack of response is because you didn't include an "indeterminate" option. There's no "neuter" either.

Seriously, though, Jessica -- what kind of results were you expecting? The average forum-dweller is a fish-belly-white*, socially inept pizza-munching vampire type (well, allergic to the sun's rays, in any case) who has a more fascinating and spiritually significant relationship with his/her computer than with any living person. Oh, I'm sure there are more than a few females who fall into that category, but you double-exxers have traditionally gone to an excess of cats as a way of avoiding human contact. We, on the other hand, have a long, strong tradition of hiding in dark places, scribbling manifestos and working past the point of exhaustion to prove that someone, somewhere, was wrong. All that's changed in our imaginary world is that people are reading our manifestos and replying to our writing to prove to anyone who's not a moron just how very wrong (and stupid) they are. It's not much of an adjustment, really. You (the collective you) need to reconcile yourselves to the fact that your cat substitutes are not only not ignoring you (as any real cat will) but are actively responding. That's a lot of bred-in-the-bones behaviour to overcome in a single generation. I'd say I welcome the change, but then I think of what a sad, sad thing my life has become...

* or as close to fish-belly white as your skin's natural pigmentation will allow you to be, at least -- we're talkin' complete absence of tan or any evidence that tanning is, in fact, possible.

Gonrah

Reaction score
There are not many female programmers, and it is well known that we are more.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well, so far we have you outnumbered two to one. That's two of us and one of you -- but I have a feeling there's more than the three of us using the site. Maybe the lack of response is because you didn't include an "indeterminate" option. There's no "neuter" either.

Seriously, though, Jessica -- what kind of results were you expecting? The average forum-dweller is a fish-belly-white*, socially inept pizza-munching vampire type (well, allergic to the sun's rays, in any case) who has a more fascinating and spiritually significant relationship with his/her computer than with any living person. Oh, I'm sure there are more than a few females who fall into that category, but you double-exxers have traditionally gone to an excess of cats as a way of avoiding human contact. We, on the other hand, have a long, strong tradition of hiding in dark places, scribbling manifestos and working past the point of exhaustion to prove that someone, somewhere, was wrong. All that's changed in our imaginary world is that people are reading our manifestos and replying to our writing to prove to anyone who's not a moron just how very wrong (and stupid) they are. It's not much of an adjustment, really. You (the collective you) need to reconcile yourselves to the fact that your cat substitutes are not only not ignoring you (as any real cat will) but are actively responding. That's a lot of bred-in-the-bones behaviour to overcome in a single generation. I'd say I welcome the change, but then I think of what a sad, sad thing my life has become...

* or as close to fish-belly white as your skin's natural pigmentation will allow you to be, at least -- we're talkin' complete absence of tan or any evidence that tanning is, in fact, possible.

Gosh I just wanted to know the gender ratio! I don't care about how many females or males there are. sheesh

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but where does "programmers" come into the picture? As far as I can determine, we are a community of cheapskates and poor folk (and no, I don't know the ratio) who want a web host. Yes, some of us are programmers, but I'd guess that the vast majority of the people using x10Hosting are nothing of the sort. It doesn't take a programmer to install a blogging engine, a bulletin board or a CMS from Softaculous.

We may live at various levels of nerd, geek, wonk and dweeb (some almost seeming normal to people who don't know better), but that doesn't make it a programmers' club. Perhaps it would be, though, if we stopped pretending it was, and stopped hanging the "No Grils Aloud" sign on the clubhouse door (spelling intentional; it reflects the intellectual and emotional age of many of the members). And you know, maybe we could attract a few more of the smart, capable and creative women (and girls) I know are out there into the programming world if we got rid of the attitude and behaved a little more like civilized humans.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Gosh I just wanted to know the gender ratio! I don't care about how many females or males there are. sheesh

Just wanted to get something started -- there were only two votes (I assume that you were one of them) and no replies more than twelve hours after you posted the poll, so I thought I'd bump it up.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
okay 5 boys and 1 girl at present :p

Gonrah

Reaction score
One woman, eight men. If we were the last humans on Earth our race is doomed.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Would not leave room for Gene Pool Dispersion that is for sure

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but where does "programmers" come into the picture? As far as I can determine, we are a community of cheapskates and poor folk (and no, I don't know the ratio) who want a web host. Yes, some of us are programmers, but I'd guess that the vast majority of the people using x10Hosting are nothing of the sort. It doesn't take a programmer to install a blogging engine, a bulletin board or a CMS from Softaculous.

We may live at various levels of nerd, geek, wonk and dweeb (some almost seeming normal to people who don't know better), but that doesn't make it a programmers' club. Perhaps it would be, though, if we stopped pretending it was, and stopped hanging the "No Grils Aloud" sign on the clubhouse door (spelling intentional; it reflects the intellectual and emotional age of many of the members). And you know, maybe we could attract a few more of the smart, capable and creative women (and girls) I know are out there into the programming world if we got rid of the attitude and behaved a little more like civilized humans.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Just wanted to get something started -- there were only two votes (I assume that you were one of them) and no replies more than twelve hours after you posted the poll, so I thought I'd bump it up.

oh okay

anyways...

come on girls, I am SO not the only girl here. Vote already :p

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Its seems like girls don't have any interest in web design and development.

nastus

Reaction score
Whats interesting to me, is that females are generally more creative so we should see more of them in the web development section of technology - but at the same time, web developers dont just design, they create and etc....