Review my new styled web page please :P...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's ... a picture of a web page. Sliced and diced and stitched together with tables that don't actually mean anything. And a lot of unnecessary Dreamweaver image-swapping JavaScript. Ewww.

Design doesn't matter if the content isn't there. You can use @font-face to choose your typeface and text-shadow (or the IE filter equivalent) to achieve the typographic effects. You can do the image swapping and text highlighting using straight-ahead CSS and the :hover, :link, :visted, :active and :focus pseudo-elements. I'll accept for the moment that you have to use pictures to get the rounded borders, since IE doesn't support border-radius in versions below 9.

My point is that it would take me, as a front-end developer, much, much longer to translate that page into a real web page than it did for you to mock it up in Photoshop, Illustrator or Fireworks and publish it with Dreamweaver. It's one thing to translate someone's dummy HTML/CSS into production code; it's quite another to zoom into a picture in Photoshop to figure out the type size, the position of elements, the radius of shadow blurs, the colours used, and so on, then translate that (if possible) to some sort of workable HTML and CSS. The amount of time needed for a developer to do that comes out of your pocket as a designer -- and at a rate of at least $300/day of developer time (that's for an in-house dev; it's more like $1000+ if I have to hire a good front-end contracting developer to do the job), that's money I won't be paying twice. That's something you'll want to consider if this page is supposed to represent you to the world.