Setting Up Domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChromeRunner

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to all of this domain stuff. I purchased a domain name for my websites hosted with x10. I have my main site which looks like this: myname.x10.mx, a secondary site that looks like this: myname.x10.mx/secondsite, and a third one that looks like this: myname.x10.mx/thirdsite. I purchased a domain for my "thirdsite'' through a service called 1&1. I would like to have it so that when you go to the domain, it would bring you to myname.x10.mx/thirdsite. For these past months I have simply been using a redirect. However this does not allow you to make subpages in the domain something like "mysitename.com/contact." How would I go about setting everything up so that my domain and the website that I host is more in sync?

Thanks in advance.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Go to 1&1's control panel for mysitename.com
Set the NAMESERVERS for mysitename.com to:
Code:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com
Go to your cPanel -> domains -> addon domains and enter mysitename.com as the domain and public_html/thirdsite (or whatever mysite.x10.mx/thirdsite is using) as the directory
Wait (up to 48 hours)

ChromeRunner

Reaction score
Agh, there are a few problems with my 1&1 provider. I set up the proper DNS "names." But I also need to configure the destination settings for my domain (I think). I can either set it up as web space or redirect. Redirect is what I was doing before, and for web space it asks for a "target directory." What should I do?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are hosting the content here, neither seems to be correct.

webbrewe

Reaction score
If you want to run multiple sites, do this:
Change nameservers to x10's at 1&1
Add the domain as an add on domain in x10 cpanel
Select the directory you're putting the site in (I think it creates it for you if you don't make a choice)
Go back to 1&1 and change nameservers back to default
Add A record pointed at ip address of your hosting server (you can get it from the cpanel on the left).
Make sure you upload content to the right directory for each site. Requests for a domain will flow to the x10 server and it will point them at the right directory.
Free hosting I believe allows 2 add on domains, so 2 distinct sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.