files in subdirectories: can see them in file manager, cannot access them on Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashihime18

Reaction score
site: hashihime.x10host.com

Here's the error message:

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can see my index file, and other top-level files, but none of the files in subdirectories. Directories and subdirectories have permissions set at 755, files at 644.

I got the message with an .htaccess file there, then I deleted the file (hoping it would recreate itself in some vanilla form) and got the same message. Perhaps there is a standard .htaccess file I could put there (top level under public_html)?

On the "my websites" page, there are icons for "file manager", "ftp users", and "manage e-mail", but just a box and no icon for the site itself.

This is a site created and uploaded in Dreamweaver that I have had for several years, but forgot to access while I was away for a month and came back to find not just inaccessible but deleted. I recreated it under a new account, but have not been able to get the new site working.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

hashihime18

Reaction score
Thanks for this. In fact, the first level of subdirectories seems okay now. But deeper files are still getting the error message (without the reference to htaccess).

I've edited all the links on the index page to point to the new domain now, but even before that, I myself was testing with the right domain. Thanks for pointing that out, however.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you give an example of a link that should work but is giving an error?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

The issue was mod security blocking it due to the /etc/ in the URL, I got to try out my new mod security exclusions which seems to have fixed it.

hashihime18

Reaction score
Can you give an example of a link that should work but is giving an error?
Thanks, Corey. In fact, now everything is working -- as long as I log off from a VPN server I generally connect through. I get a "Forbidden" error there. Perhaps an IP is being blocked?

Anyway, I just connected through another server, and that seems to work. The /etc/ might have been a problem, but there was also a problem at my end, compounding it.

(Edit: Sorry not to answer your next question.)

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the IP address that you're connecting from with the VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.