File Recovery Needed if Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

getlawye

Reaction score
Hi,

Using Cpanel's file manager a day or two ago, I put a zip archive into my account's public_ftp folder simply thinking that it would be a convenient place to put it. Now, the file is gone and I'm guessing that all files in public_ftp are periodically deleted. Does x10hosting back up account files? Is it at all possible for me to recover this file?

Please let me know as having the file would save a lot of work for me.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There is a file size cap of 10MB. Files larger than 10MB may be uploaded, but will be automatically deleted after 4 hours - that gives you enough time to unzip a ZIP you've uploaded, for instance, which is often a lot more convenient than uploading hundreds of individual files for a web site. File storage is specifically forbidden by the Terms of Service; your hosting account isn't meant to be a convenient place to put things. (Just as a heads-up, there are a number of services such as Dropbox and Google Drive that are intended for user file storage and have very generous free tier allowances. They'd be a much better choice for that sort of thing but, on the other hand, they make lousy web servers.) The files are cleaned up before backup routines are run to save space in the backups, so it's highly doubtful that your file is recoverable.

thenuth2

Reaction score
to add...
x10hosting now has a 'backup' system for free-hosting accounts that are on the good side of the TOS (i.e. not suspended)

for information about that see --> [ https://x10hosting.com/support/guides/how-can-i-restore-files-for-my-website ]
I am trying to restore a database using this same method but it does not seem to be working , I read a post pertaining to this same issue from six years ago stating an admin had to restore the database I have posted a separate topic on the forum but have gotten no response, do you know if this is true, or is there a way i can do it myself ... thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.