Atari 2600

Mightymatt54

Reaction score
The forum description says from the Xbox360 to the Atari 2600, and quite ironically i have a working Atari 2600 in my basement, does anyone else have one and/or want to share their opinion on the best game for it?

Being as old as it is the controllers are getting hard to use, but my old Atari is still great, and quite a few of its games are better than the ones i play on my 360.

If i had to pick id say my favorite game on it would be "Boxing", its easy and fun, plus you look like a little ant and can glitch the other player into a wall and KO them in about 30 seconds if your on the left. The ¼" pixels are always fun too :)

Edit: I did some research and i found that what i have is the 1977 Sunnyvale "Heavy Sixer", fun stuff :)

Last edited:

Wolfio1

Reaction score
You have a Heavy Sixer? Lucky!
I started playing the 2600 about a year ago. Since then, I've added two more to my collection. Two are six switch models: one I bought on Ebay and it works very well, the other I bought at a yardsale the year before, but it lacked the wires I needed, so it sat packed up for a year. It's picky about working. (Neither of them being a Sunnyvale, though), The other I bought at an antique shop. It's a basic four switch model and works with no trouble at all, so it's the one I have hooked up.

I could actually use game recommendations, as I have a decent pile but tend to play Dragonfire the most. It's easy to pick up and put down.

Last edited:

phantomrainbow

Reaction score
i always liked pitfall and centipede..
i used to like space invaders and the tank game..
my sister still has one that works...

Mightymatt54

Reaction score
My controllers are all as old as the ones that came with it back in '77 so a couple dont work, and the three that do are rather difficult to make work, i think its the contacts inside them, and tips as to how and if i can refurbish them?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My cousins still have a functioning Atari 2600. There are a few games they have like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, and a few others which I can't remember. Their controllers are still easy to use suprisingly, and they had most recently lost the video cable, but it had turned up.

Wolfio1

Reaction score
I could have sworn I posted here before. o_O

Anyway, official Atari controllers are pretty easy to fix. Spraying WD-40 into it is a quick fix without taking the controller apart, but doesn't do much good in the long run. Just unscrew the bottom and clean the whole thing out. They should work after that, and if you mess up you have more than one controller to spare.

3rd party controllers are a different story, though. I can't get many of them to work.

VPmase

Reaction score
I love playing Freeway on my Atari xD Pitfall was fun too.

Sohail

Reaction score
I don't see the point in using those old consoles when we have things like HD graphics, surround sound and all that ;)

I have copied the full specs of the PS3 (the best console :)) just so you get gat a taste of the kind of technology we have today :-

Product name: PLAYSTATION 3

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

* 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
* Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
* Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

* Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
* VRAM: 22.4GB/s
* RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
* SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

* HDD
* Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

* USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
* Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
* SD: standard/mini x 1
* CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

* Bluetooth (up to 7)
* USB2.0 (wired)
* Wi-Fi (PSP®)
* Network (over IP)

AV Output:

* Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* HDMI: HDMI out x 2
* Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
* Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation CD-ROM
* PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
* CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
* SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
* DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
* PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
* DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

* PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
* BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Pretty good eh :p...

Xoalazord

Reaction score
I never got to play 2600 back in the day but I've played some more recently. I liked Halloween-it has a pretty creepy atmosphere considering.

Wolfio1

Reaction score
I don't have a PS3 yet, but I do own a 360 and a Wii. I'm not missing out on new games or specs. I understand that upgraded graphics/sound/whatever *help* make a game good, but that doesn't mean anything outdated is bad.

Thanks for the recommendation, Xoalazord.

ajrreed

Reaction score
Actually I grew up with the Atari 800, which was the computer, video game replacement for the 2600. The Atari 800 used the same joysticks, but could include 4 of them. Because it can be run on disk, there are heaps more games & better quality. See if you can track one down. The Atari 800 used the same micro, the MOPS 6502, but had custom chips for sound POKEY & video GTIA... The Atari 800 was the most advnaced game console & computer @ the time it was realeased...It was even superior to the Commodore 64 which came out later.

ATARI ROCKS

Sohail

Reaction score
Hey i found this on the Atari 2000, it's really interesting :-

First created in China about 2000 B.C., Go is a compelling and subtle strategy game. It vies with Parcheesi as the world’s oldest game that still exists in its original form. Go is unique, in that there are literally trillions -- if not an infinite number -- of board combinations. So many, in fact, that it is theorized that no two Go games played have ever been, or will ever be the same. Yet the game looks so simple -- just a series of black and white stones placed on a 19x19 grid.

Some players have described the binary pattern of stones as a thing of beauty, with the game attaining a level of complexity at times so vast, the players put more emphasis the complex stone patterns to help them decide their next move, then on any sort of strategy.

It’s no small wonder that the simple beauty of a game like Go appealed to the college campus computer hackers of the 1960s. While chess was still very popular, its regimented opening moves and seemingly finite strategies were more in-tune with the “powers that be” than with new movements based on social change. Computer hackers were opening new doors to information that were only dreamed about a decade prior.

Go’s binary nature -- like that of a computer -- appealed greatly to these pioneering computer enthusiasts. It was a game of infinity, that could be explored and experimented upon, just like the computing machines the hackers coveted so much. However, the infuriating part of Go is that it’s almost impossible to master. For a group of people who wanted to explore every nook, cranny, and corner of a computer, the inability to “master”, this must have been both cathartic and frustrating.

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell was a Go player who learned the hacker ethic at the University of Utah. When Bushnell finally decided on the name for his pioneering video game company, he called it “Atari”. In Go terms this is like saying “watch the hell out, I’m just about to win the game”. A couple years later, Atari would adopt a curious looking logo -- a three-part, vertically split triangle, that looked a bit like an “A”, but more like a mountain.

This symbol would commonly be known as the “Fuji”, and it was under its shadow that an entire new industry was created. It was also under this shadow that the simple lessons of Go would affect the design of video games in their first decade. The “simple to learn, difficult to master” game design philosophy is the one that helped propel Atari’s games from mild parlor amusements into the psyche of an entire generation.
The Engineer Entertainer

Born in 1943 in Clearfield, Utah, the founder of the modern video games industry, Nolan Bushnell, always loved playing games.

“I can remember playing Monopoly and Clue with my neighborhood friends, chess incessantly. I played tournament chess. I played #2 board at Utah State University. I’ve always been a game player, period” i -Nolan Bushnell

He also loved science. His world was upended in 3rd grade he was given a science assignment by his teacher Mrs. Cook.

“The spark was ignited when I was assigned to do the unit on electricity and got to play with the science box. I remember constantly making stuff as a kid that amazed my friends using electricity.” ii - Nolan Bushnell

With a love of play, and a love of science, an engineer entertainer was born.
Bushnell’s love of electricity led him to Utah State University where he studied for a BS degree in Electrical Engineering. While in the engineering department, Bushnell was exposed to a DEC PDP-1 computer, and Steve Russell’s game Spacewar! He fell in love with the quirky little one-on-one space battle game, and was fascinated by the impact it had on the other students, especially in how much free time the other students spent playing it.

At the same time, Bushnell was working his way through college by working at Lagoon Amusement Park in Farmington Utah. There, he worked the midway games like a master carnival barker.

“I think that working at the amusement park gave me a sense that I had a special knack for that. I was able to have a lot of people have fun and spend their money while doing it. Those were two good characteristics” iii - Nolan Bushnell

Near the midway was a small arcade that featured mostly pinball machines. Bushnell envisioned the day that the pinball games would be replaced by machines playing games like Spacewar! He noted how much free time his classmates were spending on the game. He realized that if he could figure out a way to monetize that time, he could be very successful. However, after much pondering, it seemed impossible. A DEC PDP-1 computer cost $120,000, and there was no way someone could break even on a game that cost that much create.

"When you divide 25 cents into an $8 million computer, there ain't no way,"iv - Nolan Bushnell

He put the notion aside so he could start a career as an engineer. After graduation from Utah State as a “Distinguished Fellow” in 1968, Bushnell moved to California where he continued his graduate education at Stanford University. He wanted to work for Walt Disney, because he felt they were doing very interesting things with technology. Even though Bushnell thought of his endeavors as technical feats, he still felt the need to entertain people.

“I always considered myself an engineer. A guy who used technology to solve problems. I was fascinated with Disney who used technology to entertain people. I felt technology was truly magical.” v - Nolan Bushnell

However, since, Disney did not hire engineers straight out of school, so he had to look elsewhere.

"When I graduated from college, my vision of the perfect job was to work in the research section of Disneyland. But they weren't hiring new engineering grads. " vi - Nolan Bushnell

Bushnell found a job at Ampex Corp, in the Silicon Valley and started working as computer graphics department research designer. He worked at Ampex for a couple years, where he met fellow engineers (and future Atari employees) Al Alcorn and Steve Bristow. However, Bushnell was never able to settle down as a line engineer. The need to entertain people kept biting at him. Soon after, he was introduced to a free-standing version of Spacewar! named Galaxy Game, designed by Bill Pitt, another Stanford graduate.

Galaxy Game was a full version of the DEC PDP version of Spacewar!, right down the mini-computer that was necessary to run it. While the technical feat of a free-standing Spacewar! game was impressive, the $40,000 cost associated with basing a game on mini-computer was not. Bushnell knew he could do better. His day dreams of electronic games replacing pinball machines from working at Lagoon were rekindled. He felt he could engineer a machine that could entertain people, and still make money at the same time.

Simplifying A Revolution

In the Spring of 1971, while still working for Ampex, Bushnell along with fellow engineer Ted Dabney, started crafting their own version of Spacewar! named Computer Space. They worked out of Bushnell’s daughter Britt’s bedroom, turning it into a computer lab in which they could engineer their masterpiece. All sort of ideas crossed their minds, including using a minicomputer like Galaxy Game, and using a series of terminals for a multiplayer experience, but these ideas were far too expensive for this bedroom outfit.

computer space Instead, it hit them one day to go in the opposite direction and simplify their design to cut costs as much as possible. The pair decided that they did not need thousands of dollars in hardware to make their dream come to life, instead choosing a much simpler solution. They crafted a working game using TTL (Transistor To Transistor Logic)vii to create a computer whose sole purpose was to play Computer Space. While this might have seemed like a step-back technology wise, it was a huge leap forward for creating a commercial game. With a black and white G.E. TV and $100 worth of electronic parts, they created the first viable, commercial video game.

“I worked it out and the economics were overwhelming."viii - Nolan Bushnell

This seemingly simple decision towards simplification fueled the entire video game industry for most of the 1970’s.

“100% of the video games up until 1977 used my discreet logic technology... that I had a patent on.” ix - Nolan Bushnell

However, before a video game revolution could be started, it would need a game that people wanted to play. Unfortunately, Computer Space was not that game. Bushnell and Dabney sold their idea to Nutting Associates in late 1971. It landed in the coin-op industry with a resounding “thud”. Amusement operators who were used to buying jukeboxes and pinball machines had no idea what to do with it. The controls were too complicated, and the game too confusing for the average barroom (read: drunk) player.

"Nobody wants to read an encyclopedia to play a game"x - Bushnell on Computer Space

In the spring on 1972, while still working with Nutting to sell Computer Space, Bushnell visited Magnavox to take a look at the TV video game system that Ralph Baer had developed for the company. Bushnell left unimpressed. The analog computer used in the game (a computer used for applications that require a continuous change of one or more variables) was only useful for very simple games, and the graphics looked fuzzy. However, a simple tennis contest on display stuck with him, and the idea for a ping pong-type game was born.

There is more but i don't want to copy too much and i think you have enough information now ;).