Best Bittorrent client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
I use BitComet, it's one of the best bittorrent programs. Also has several torrent websites and an intergrated web browser to easily look for torrents to download.

Also the download isn't very big, about 4MB at the most, so not so hard on dialup users - although bittorrent with big files is not recommended for dialup users!

BitComet has heaps of different options, you can limit the download and upload rates of certain torrents, chat to other torrenters - but for me it says there are 3 people in chat but when you got chat there is no one on the online list or talking, and much more.

Highly Recommended!

But, don't ask me which torrent website to use, I use several incl. IsoHunt, TorrentSpy, Fulldls, TorrentPortal, and many more which have links in BitComet.

Bittorrent is not my prefered download protocol, mainly as the download speed is not always reliable, sometimes you could be downloading at 250KB/s, the next 2KB/s, etc. Also some of the time no one will be sharing the file so you maybe stuck at something like 46% or 98% with no way to get it complete.

Last edited:

Cubeform

Reaction score
Azureus all the way. It's open source, unlike µTorrent.

BitTorrent is great; I've downloaded the Ubuntu LiveCD in a mere 30 minutes.

darkjetx

Reaction score
uTorrent here.

belive me , the speed is reliable when you'll get to an invite only site :)

it consumes small resources ,unlike azureus . My 2nd favourite would be bitcomet

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Azureus all the way! Seriously, i wont change... Seeing as im always using teh net, and when bittorrent is downloading i cant even go to websites, so theres no need for me to be multitasking =P so no worries about memory.

TarinC

Reaction score
utorrent is the best client, It uses very little computer resources. Although i use azureus.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
I personally use bit torrent. its pretty good.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
What exactly is BitTorrent ( Besides a file sharing thing )
How does one get started using it? What type of files can be found ( Like mp3s or just software? )

How would one set up a server for it? I have a spare computer I am trying to find something to do with. *lol*

Cubeform

Reaction score
StarShine said:
What exactly is BitTorrent ( Besides a file sharing thing )
How does one get started using it? What type of files can be found ( Like mp3s or just software? )

How would one set up a server for it? I have a spare computer I am trying to find something to do with. *lol*

Edit:
BitTorrent is not a file sharing network, unlike FastTrack(Kazaa) or Gnutella. It is simply a method for sharing files efficiently.

BitTorrent files have to link to a "tracker", which "tracks" the downloads and uploads and starts you off.

Any kinds of file can be found; from legal to illegal stuff. You don't really need a server; just find a tracker.

At least, that's my understanding. Feel free to correct.

Last edited:

t2t2t

Reaction score
^^ Continueing

Some games have put bittorrent as downloading site:
http://torrent.openttd.org:8082/
[probably more, but i don't know]

EDIT:
I got a sneezy feeling of typos
EDIT 2 (for mods): This is continue of line Any kinds of file can be found; from legal to illegal stuff..

And if you want to know, i use Azureus - the poisinous animal :p

Last edited:

Trubl3z

Reaction score
haha i just use bittornado, works well and i never had a problem using it. Its simple and a clean gui look. there some other sites like http://www.mininova.org/, http://btjunkie.org/, and theres more. Didn't want to mention others, not sure if you guys are interested in it so yea.

Bazor

Reaction score
Bitlord is what I use mostly because it's usually a good fast speed. Though my second choice would be Azureus because of it's features.

mehtab

Reaction score
Utorrent is the best. It have nice graphics and simple interface. It uses very low memory as oppsed to Azureus which takes a hell lot of memory space.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I can handle the memory usage, I've tryed uTorrent and ABC opposed to Azureus.

uTorrent just plain doesn't work for me which is odd, but I can live with it (if you define working as getting 100bps on a torrent with 100+seeds and 700+peers then it works, but something tells me it's not liking the way my pc/network is set up), I just dun use it (if you do though and it works, great for ya).

ABC on the other hand worked for a while until I couldn't get it to connect at all. At. All. Not so bad until you find out that your network is infact NOT broken, and nothing's being blocked (irony, nothing was being SENT from ABC either, so something somewhere got seriously broken).

I can live with the memory hogging of Azureus though, I don't normally torrent while doing anything else (cept when playing painkiller or ut2004, but those don't seem to rely on memory as much as anything else).

To be quite frank though, there is no 1 best bittorrent client, just like theres no 1 best first person shooter, no 1 best rpg (you might find several final fantasy players torn between which one in the series they like), and no 1 best zombie slasher fest (dead rising, painkiller...). It's really just a matter of hunting around, finding a list of 5 or more, grabbing them all, and trying them out to find out which one you like most.

Personally, Azureus. For one of my friends, uTorrent. For another the official client (I somehow doubt he'd stick with it if he actually tryed other ones, but to each his own). All I care about really? Does it download data. Does it send data. And does it do that properly (nothing worse than a client that breaks the protocol and sends bad data, besides a user who knowingly misnames a torrent). I could care less if you're on uTorrent, ABC, Bitlord, or even BitComet, so long as you're sending me the data I'm looking for.

As for websites that have torrents to download...Eh, I dunno if I wanna show off my sources. Something tells me you'll either find them yourself given time, or I'll get warned/banned for sharing sites that are very heavy in illegal materials (Copyright violation? What's that?). I like x10 too much to get banned from it XD

Mikek

Reaction score
Azureus is an awsome client. Got nice features. Only downside is that it uses java which is a memory hog.

BitTorrent is not a file sharing network, unlike FastTrack(Kazaa) or Gnutella. It is simply a method for sharing files efficiently.

BitTorrent files have to link to a "tracker", which "tracks" the downloads and uploads and starts you off.

Any kinds of file can be found; from legal to illegal stuff. You don't really need a server; just find a tracker.

At least, that's my understanding. Feel free to correct.
To download using bit torrent:
  1. Set up the client
  2. Goto a website with torrent files. (eg http://www.legaltorrents.com/, http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/downloads/tryout/
  3. download one and open it in the client
  4. Watch and Wait :naughty:
Any one can set up tracking software. (Azerus has a tracker feature).
The torrent file contains information on the files and the tracker locations.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Azureus... easy to use and very fast...

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
... very fast, that depends on your internet speed, the speed of the seeders, how many people are already downloading from them, etc.

I always find a good seeder that allows me to download at 150KB/s at times and then when they go off my download speed goes down to 14KB/s. It so sucks, one minute you are like YAY only 1 hour left, and then the next your like, stuff that, 7 hours left.

I have a 2mbps connection (in New Zealand) but it only acts as a 1mbps at the best of time for international data transfers.

I usually only use BitTorrent for Movies and Games, I prefer Limewire Pro for Music.

BitTorrent is quite useful at times but is very annoying when you are downloading a file and then no one seeds it, e.g. you have 97% downloaded of a 700MB file and then no one is seeding so your stuck - I try and stay away from sites and torrents that do not say how many seeders and leechers there are.

Ok... its basically a file sharing network consisting of many networks of peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.