Can't create .htaccess file

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkshakeSpoon

Reaction score
I get the following error when trying to create the file .htaccess in the file manager.
The page at https://xo2.x10hosting.com:2038 says:
ERROR: Could not create file ".htaccess" in /home/milksha3/public_html: File exists​
THE FILE DOES NOT ALREADY EXIST! and if it does then it certainly isn't visible to me.

I am also having trouble using FTP. When I connect the only file I get is .ftpquota and that's it.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to tick the option to "Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)" when you open the filemanager in order to see the already existing .htaccess file.

There's no hosting account attached to the forum account you are currently posting from so I can not look into the account any further at this time.
If you don't know what forum account is attached to your hosting account you can find that out, or switch to another existing one, if you login to the portal, click "Get support" and then "Visit forums".

adamgx10

Reaction score
Apologies this is the account that is currently attached to the account (Thought I changed it). How exactly do you find this 'Show hidden files' option?
If you could look into the ftp problem that would be fantastic.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi MilkshakeSpoon,

When you enter the File Manager from the standard cPanel x3 theme, a popup shows by default. Please could you verify that you have the "Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)" checkbox ticked?

RAJ0FBf.png

Also, please can I ask what username you are logging into FTP with?

Thank you,

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
For .htaccess
1) Log onto cPanel
2) DO NOT USE x10 basic ... use x3
3) At the bottom of the page, click on reset all interface settings
4) Click on FileManager , a pop-up window should appear
5) Check box to show hidden/dot files
6) You should be able to see and edit .htaccess

adamgx10

Reaction score
Hi I have managed to do what I wanted to do in the .htaccess file... Thank you
I am still however, having problems with FTP (I only have one FTP account so you can work it out from there? Rather not say the username for security purposes) Again, all I get when I connect is a file called .ftpquota

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

You can always login with your cPanel username and password into FTP, instead of creating another FTP account in cPanel. Logging into FTP with your cPanel username and password will give you full access to your account's files :)

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.